Algae issue please help Dino's/HA

Kreden

After some research I think I have Dino in my tank along with HA. I the tanks about 5 months old started with dry rock and live sand from the bag I dip all my stuff and with my old tank I didn't have algae issues.

From what I heard it's terrible and I read up on 3% peroxide dipping and or raising my ph to 8.4. Can anyone help me out with this or any input as I read it can kill *&#@ and I think my big snail died because of the outbreak thanksb1a5be94c615e10493a17849a39118da.png3d8450bba98f42d47998979e383d845e.pngd6bc66c4cff9527f341abfad4d4676d3.pngd83e8ee99d821bb87d4cdedad6e5076e.png93cea832979a8ceca8046c8fc39e7aeb.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tank is still fairly young. Will go through more growing pains. Looks like diatoms on the substrate. Try to siphon some algae from the rocks. If it's dinos then it will clump together in your bucket once it settles. Dinos are also very slimy and smell strong. Some people will win the battle with dinos with a few days of lights out, and peroxide. Sometimes they just go away with time. I battled them for over a year with no success. I finally removed all corals and anemones and ran the LEDs on 1% for a few months. Finally dino free. I quarantine everything that goes in my tank over 72 days, mostly for parasites. So far no sign of its return.

Edited by WheresTheReef

I contracted Dinos in a 20L coral only tank a while back; best I can tell is that I picked them up from a frag I introduced to the tank. During my initial attack on the Dinos I tried everything from limited feeding, lights out, water changes and even removal of the sandbed and nothing worked. One of my my last ditch efforts to rid the tank of Dinos, was to do weekly 100% water changes, which included scrubbing the rocks and rinsing them in fresh SW and then scrubbing the tank in my laundry sink and then rinsing and soaking it and all of the equipment with a 20% bleach solution for 30min (that really knocks it back) and then putting everything back together after a RODI rinse and soak.But even that did not solve the problem. I did however finally find a solution and since then I have rid my tank of Dinos. So the 3 recommendations I would provide, besides tossing all living things in the tank and then nuking everything you want to keep with bleach and acid and starting over would be to:

1. Add an Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) to you tank if you have the room. I have one on my main tank and I have nothing but good results and I swear by them. It works under the same principals as a refugium where you purposefully grow algae in a containment area. The algae sucks up the excess nutrients and when the crop is ready, you harvest the algae, which removes the excess nutrients which are trapped in the algae. This method is not initially cheap but it does work and in my opinion, the overall and long-term health of the tank will improve.

2. My other suggestion, which I used on my small 20L coral only tank, (where adding an ATS was just not an option) was to try Vibrant Marine. My decision to give this stuff a try came after I read a thread on RC ( http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307000) which at the time was only 4129 posts long and spanned almost 4yrs. For my situation it worked and I no longer have a Dino problem. However, as it usually tends to happen, when you remove 1 problem another will be there to take its place and that is how I now have a slight case of hair algae. But that is welcomed in comparison to Dinos. One note with the use of Vibrant is that my corals did not like it and the one coral that I had that was not healthy did not end up making it through the treatment.

3. My final suggestion and in my opinion something you should do no matter what path you choose, would be to read the thread on RC to gain a bit of an understanding of what you are trying to accomplish in your attack against Dino's - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307000. Be prepared though, it is long and when you get to posts 2507 to 2519 you will wish that you had paid more attention in Biology class http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307000&page=101 ). But it is definitely in my opinion worth the read. 

Lastly and unfortunately, as most in the hobby will attest to, all tanks are different and from what I have read and researched, there are many different strains of Dinos, so what works for one tank may not work for another. So, good luck with you endeavors.

HIH,

Tom G