Laser polyp removal

zygote2k

Someone here used a laser to kill aiptasia. Can whomever chime in and tell me what kind me of laser was used and how efficient it was.

I'm thinking 3.5w blue laser will work, but I'd like some feedback first.

Anyone? Buehler?

I've got a 1.4W 445 nm (blue) laser. I've tried killing Aiptasia with them. It'll work, bit I don't recommend it for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that you have to have line of sight on your target before it can be effective. So, if it's around the backside, under a rock, or within a rock, you may not be able to get rid of it. It's also dangerous and can blind a person in milliseconds. So, ineffective for real control, expensive and dangerous. If you can see it, you can hit it with kalk paste and, if you can't, biological controls are more effective in getting to them where you can't.

I want to kill palythoas.

I'd like to use laser, kalk paste, and smothering them with a sheet of epoxy.

I tried killing off ("Outlaw" ) palythoas with mine. I'd had it with them. They kept coming back. I'd even find them on the sand sometimes. Most efforts at eradication never worked completely. There was just too much mass and some tissue would always survive to regenerate polyps later on. Maybe an even larger laser would have done better, but I don't know for sure. In the end, I just pulled all the rock out, carved off what I wanted to keep and acid washed the rock outside in a covered trash can. Looking at the rock beforehand, I could see them in nooks and crannies, so the laser approach would still have been unsuccessful.

Before that, I tried kalk (moderately successful), acid injections (too labor intensive and not very effective), covering under pliable duct-seal (never as effective as I would have thought. A longer period of coverage or tighter seal may have worked better), sodium hydroxide, and probably other ways that I am forgetting here.

In the end, rebooting the rock was the only thing that worked for me.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk

I was able to completely remove them with boiling water and a 500ml syringe connected to some tubing. I threw out the rock they came in on and was lucky enough to nuke the ones which spread into the gravel and surface of other rock. Took a few months but got everything that popped up.

I tried killing off ("Outlaw" ) palythoas with mine. I'd had it with them. They kept coming back. I'd even find them on the sand sometimes. Most efforts at eradication never worked completely. There was just too much mass and some tissue would always survive to regenerate polyps later on. Maybe an even larger laser would have done better, but I don't know for sure. In the end, I just pulled all the rock out, carved off what I wanted to keep and acid washed the rock outside in a covered trash can. Looking at the rock beforehand, I could see them in nooks and crannies, so the laser approach would still have been unsuccessful.

Before that, I tried kalk (moderately successful), acid injections (too labor intensive and not very effective), covering under pliable duct-seal (never as effective as I would have thought. A longer period of coverage or tighter seal may have worked better), sodium hydroxide, and probably other ways that I am forgetting here.

In the end, rebooting the rock was the only thing that worked for me.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk