Jelly woes

Origami

I have two jellyfish tank running, having set them up after our last meeting. I had 5 jellies between them.

All was well until just a few minutes ago. It appears that I killed 5 jellies in the last 24 hours. Did a 50% water change in both tanks last night. My water change routine uses two 2-gallon buckets. One to collect water as I siphon the old water out and another that contains the new change water. I keep the two buckets stacked together with other tools for the water change inside (cups, tubing, etc.).

Last night was to be no different. Looking over at my buckets, I thought that I only saw one in the stack. So I grabbed another bucket that I thought was part of the pair and diluted some of my regular 35 ppt water down to 30 ppt (which is where I run the jelly tanks) in it. Then I grabbed the other bucket. When I did so, I noticed the second bucket was right there. No worries, I thought. I just grabbed the one and left the other behind, and proceeded to change the water in both tanks.

Fast forward to this evening: I'm getting ready to feed both tanks and I glance at the one inside the living room. Nothing. Only disintegrated gelatinous material floating about. So I head over to my daughter's room where three jellies were homed. Only two in there but the two are not pulsing any longer. They appear dead. The third has disintegrated.

D*mn.  I'll bet that I used that other bucket for something other than a water change recently and had some residue left over in it. Got careless and just left it in the fish room where there's a deep sink. 

Tough lesson to learn but one worth sharing so others might not repeat it.

Next time, I'll label the buckets and dedicate their use.

Sorry to hear about the jellies. My son once used one of my tank buckets for something else, and couldn't understand why I was angry about it (that bucket got demoted to household chores).