Newbie help

reeferindc

(edited)

Hello everyone, I have a weird question. I have never used a RODI unit. I want to try and hook up my unit I have. I got it from a member a few years ago. Is there a post here that describes in details how to hook up a RODI unit? I have a Coralife 75 or 50 GPH? (I think). One of the canisters is broken can that be replaced?

Edited by reeferindc

The canisters are often pretty standard size-wise. But different makes have different threads mating the canister to the top. It's probably a good idea to replace the whole canister. You can probably get a new one from our sponsor, AirWaterIce.com

You're going to have one line coming in and two lines coming out. The line in connects to your water source. It normally goes directly to a sediment filter stage. One of the outgoing lines comes from the RO membrane housing and it's the waste line. It goes to a drain. The other line comes out of the DI resin stage and is where your "pure" water comes out. 

If the RO membrane was allowed to go dry or sit too long, it may have collapsed or fouled. It's possible that you'll need to get a new membrane. (You can get that at AWI, too.) You probably should change all your filter stages at this point anyway. The membrane capacity sets the value of your flow restrictor. So, when replacing the membrane, be sure to replace it with the same one. Otherwise, you'll have to swap out the flow restrictor. Easy to do, but you'll have to have some sense of what you're doing and how the unit is constructed.

Thanks Origami, my next question is Does it matter the type of membrane I get for each canister? If so what does everyone use? My particular unit has 4 stages 3 down and 1 on top.

Yes, it matters inasmuch as you should replace the membrane that's in there with an equivalent membrane. That doesn't necessarily mean the same manufacturer. But you should replace a 50 gpd membrane with another 50 gpd membrane. A 75 one with another 75. Etcetera. Those should reasonably well match whatever flow restrictor is in the setup that you have.

If you get your water from a water main (versus a well), you may also want to check with your water company to find out if they use chloramines (I know that both Fairfax and Loudoun counties here in northern VA do). 

If so, make sure one of the carbon cartridges is rated to remove not just chlorine but also chloramines. Otherwise, not only is some chloramines likely to make it past the ro/di system, it can also cause your DI cartridge to become exhausted much quicker.

I added a stage for that reason

Sediment...catalytic carbon....carbon block....ro membrane up top....di resin .....

Air water and ice or the local vendors can't be beat for service and advice imo.....

Origami I don't know what type of membranes are in the canisters so is it safe to just start over clean? I CAN find out how many GPH (50 or 75) it puts out but not necessarily what type of membrane is in the canister.

It's GPD, not GPH. ;-)

As Der ABT said, you can get a flow restrictor that matches the membrane. Do you know the make and model of the RO/DI?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk