What is this?

craigdon

Anyone have any idea what this is? It looks like white stringy thread. It's stuck to my algae scrapper and the front of my glass in the corner.

post-2633873-0-02981500-1496253868_thumb.jpg

post-2633873-0-45784100-1496253883_thumb.jpg

When I scrape them off my tank glass my watchman will sometimes eat them.

I've never seen them hatch n my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When they hatch they are in a planktonic stage called a veliger that floats in the water column. From what I've read most snails in our tanks take at least a couple weeks to go from veligers to juveniles with a shell and then much longer, I think 2 years for nassarius snails, to reach adulthood. Don't quote me on that time frame for all snails haha

It can boil down to sheer luck in a reef tank to get to the juvenile stage. From flow to filtration to inhabitants makes all the difference. Breeding probably requires a separate dedicated tank for consistent success.

I've had snails breed and survive in my tanks (in the past). They weren't ceriths, though. (You appear to have cerith eggs from the picture.) They did take a while to get to a decent size, though. I first started noticing them when there were egg capsules on the glass. Using a small handheld microscope, I was able to see a tiny snail in the capsule. Later, I could see small snails in the sand (a bit larger than the sand grains, actually).