FINALLY Working on the rockwork

Squishie89

So I have finally started working on the rockwork for my 90g DT. It has only taken years to get here.

Anyways, here is what we have so far. This will be a mixed reef so eventually will have corals, there will be a sandbed eventually as well.

I just want your honest opinions please.

583d0bbb5f9f6abc5e320a56f8c6c927.jpg

ac13882f32f148b1506b593fa121ba0c.jpg

Here is what is leftover

651b10ffbf938e9ecf662c3d34eadfa0.jpg

I do plan on using more of the tonga once I have the sandbed in place to anchor them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I like the big holes and it looks like it is fitting together well.  I assume the return locline won't be down that low, right?  Otherwise when the power goes out you'll siphon down half your tank, heh.

Where will you have powerheads?

I am still working on the locline. Powerheads, at least one in the front right corner pointed to the left, might do another opposite, or 2 on the right. I plan on using mp40s.

My rockwork really came together when I had Zygote2k over to place stuff.  He's done so much of it that he has an eye for what looks right and won't fall over.

I would try something different with the rock on the far right.  It looks like it's leaning against the glass.  It also looks like you had a perfect triangle of rock and decided that looked unnatural, and added this last rock to break up the triangle.

That rock will also make it hard to clean the glass, which looks very unnatural IMO.  Maybe stack the two right-most rocks directly on top of one another, to make a more vertical right side.

The other thing I would do is save a folder of FTS where you like the rock work.  Never mind the corals, lighting, or size of the tank.  Just start with the 2D shapes, ratios, and use of white space.

I'm wondering if hermits can climb that's ladder and jump off the tank .. to go back to pacific ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input guys, it means a ton!

I am coming back to it tomorrow. I will move that rock off the glass and see if I can stack it towards the side. I really love the arches I have going, fish going through tunnels/arches is very cool to me, so trying to keep as many arches as possible. And still trying to avoid deadspots!

One of the semi problems I ran into is I decided to dedicate the overflow cover rock thing to corals that like to spread, so I don't want any rocks that touch the main rock system to touch that.

Hopefully with some rest and fresh eyes tomorrow I can make it work and not look terrible. I tell myself it will look better when covered with life.

rock should not lean against the glass for support. sand also should not be used to support the rock unless it's only 1 rock.

it's hard to incrporate branch rock with such large pieces of base rock. I'd use a a few larger pieces as the base, then some shelf and branch to build height. don't build the structure higher than 1/2 the height of the tank to allow for fish swimming room and growth of organisms that are on the rock.

my 0.02.

Rob is way more knowledgeable than I, but I would also avoid having rocks close to the glass because of how annoying it is to clean! I now place rock far enough away that my mag-float can pass unimpeded on any surface that will grow visible algae, and it makes a big difference in the "day to day" look of the tank.

I always let the back grow fur, even if I don't have rock stacked on it.  It doesn't grow much, and I figure it's habitat space for pods and stuff.

(edited)

Forgot to add that I use zip ties to keep that bundle together. I can grab that branch anywhere and it all remains intact. I'm a bare-bottom, high-flow fan so I do not rely on anything to anchor live rock, especially since snails, digging fish, water currents, etc. may undermine / move sand beds.

Epoxy works great too!!

Edited by hmoore