fish help i dont no what to get???

Guest bill33

Guest bill33

hello, i have a 55 gallon with lr soon to be a reef. i have a sailfin tang about 2-3 inches and 2 green chromis, i have no clue what to get. i want something really hardy and peaceful. how many more fish can i fit in their comfortably???

Billy

I'm not sure what your max number/inches of fish is going to be.  It wil be dependant on how much filtration you have, whether you have a sump and/or fuge.  But a very broad rule of thumb, that I have heard, is 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons.  I'm not sure how much stock I put in that rule.  Remember the LR displaces a lot of water so you aren't really working with 55 gallons.  You need to research the mximum size the fish will grow to as well.

As far as peaceful, firefish seem to be really peaceful.  My Percula clowns don't seem to bother corals or other fish.

take care on the type of clowns you chose if you go that route.  Marooons and fire saddlebacks are notoriously mean and nasty.  See amber's thread for more fish suggestions.

I had a pair of tomato clowns that adopted a xenia patch.  Anything that came within 10" of their home was attacked including me.  No real harm and they didn't pursue beyond the 10" zone.

You might add chromis to your list; green being most common, a small peaceful schooling fish.  Damsels have a nasty reputation but I had 2 yello-tail-blues that kept to themselves.

Guest bill33
i have an emporer 400 on it and a power head on the other side. so is that good filtration???    i herd that royal grammas dont come out alot

Guest bill33
i just added 2 more chromis's   so i have 4 now

Bill,

When I had that sailfin he was in the tank with a Royal Gramma. They got along great. I would also reccomend some type of cardinal (preferably a Bengaii or Pajama).

Chris

Guest bill33

i tried 2 kaudres i think thats how you spell it. the both died. i want something that can swim. not like a deer in the headlights "cardnals" hahahaha hmmm is purple firefish gobys good i herd they jump out of the tank so....

billy p.s. did the gramma swim around at my lfs they stay in a rock all day

Guest goblinshark

Bill, u might wanna lose the Emporar 400, after 7 monthes mine was making my nitrates go crazy, all they are a nitrate traps, i would go with a hang-on fuge thats what im doin.  

Blennies are cool, dont really swin much, but are extremly funny to watch :D