Uv

Joshifer

Added a 24WATT uv sterilizer letting it run 24/7 I'm aware the bulb issue I'm not worried about that at the moment.

Tanks 20G

Will this kill whatever free floating parasites out of my DT?

I know it won't do nothing about the eggs but it should help speed up the process. Hopefully.

Many people say itnkills beneficial bacteria. But isn't that bacteria on the rocks and in the sand and not free floating?

I was under the impression that most UV sterilizers will not kill all parasites. Maybe folks can clarify when answering Joshifer.

I think people used to talk about using them a lot more; are less people using them, or just not talking as much about them?

Do plenty of people think UV makes such a big difference that I should get mine out of the closet, clean it, replace the bulb, and fire it up? It's a 9 watt, would be on about 45 gallons of water.

Oh, just found this chart. Not sure I understand it:

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/sites/default/files/brochures/UV%20Charts%20Salt%20and%20Fresh%20Water.pdf

Edited by treesprite

This is my two cents take or leave it off of my research: 
UV sterlizer are bennificial for removing free floating alage and bacteria(bennificial and non bennificial).No Studies have proven that installing one removes  velvet or ick and Honestly 100 percent water change would remove them from the water column,  Honestly save your money  and dump all the rocks in a vinigar bath and wash out the sand. Viniger bath the tank and add new water and new sand. Total cost = 40 bucks maybe UV sterlizer worth a darn=80-100 bucks. You still need to keep your fish in QT and I think you could even get away with dipping your coral in Hydrogen peroxide and adding them to your DT  right away (more research will need to be done). But this is the same advice everyone gave you before. How is the QT process going? Are you running Copper or any medication? Well I hope all is well good luck!