Media Reactor Question

Mattb1612

Hi Everyone, 

First off let me say thank you for all the help my aquarium would not be alive without all your help. As usual in this hobby I have hit another road block. My Media reactor is reef octopus  Phosban Reactor. I usually place carbon and Phosguard in the cyclinder and it works great, However I decided to try purigen in the cylinder. I have noticed though the Purgine doesnt seem to be tumbling in the cyclinder and its just flowing through the meadia. This is the other issue it seem to the water flow is to slight trickle out the back end. I am running a Sicce pump. Do I need to upgrade the pump? Is It to much media inside the cyclinder?Has anyone ever had this happen to them before?

Thanks everyone,

Happy reefing 

It sounds like the media is compacted and blocking a lot of the water flow that your pump is trying to push.

BTW, not all media needs or should be tumbled (at least, not aggressively). Some media can be soft and aggressive tumbling can lead to it disintegrating and being pushed out into your tank as dust. In some cases (such as softer carbons) this dust has been linked to certain fish diseases (such as HLL for carbon dust) and other problems.