Stressed Fish

xabo

On Tuesday removed a Gem Tang from QT and placed in DT. Fish was harrassed by Black and Bariene Tang and hasn't eaten since Tuesday. Fins have healed but eyes look slightly swollen and cloudy.

Remove the other Tangs and placed in sump. Should I remove the Gem and treat or do you think she'll recuperate by leaving her in DT alone for a while?

Thanks

Edited by xabo

I would be most concerned with the eating. If it was eating I would think that if it has the display tank to itself, that might be good enough for it to recuperate. If it's not eating then I don't know what is the best thing to do, assuming you tried everything you can get your hands on including things like black worms or whatever some of the more exotic foods are the people of WAMAS have mentioned in the past in other posts. But hopefully you'll get some other advice, the more the better considering that gem tangs cost more than my first new car. :) I should add that I am not familiar with many medications and don't know which ones might help with something like swollen and cloudy eyes.

Edited by Rob A

If it's a single eye then it's likely an injury. Bilateral cloudiness of the eyes can be indicative of various health issues such as bacterial or parasitic infection. The article below can hopefully help.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/fish

How long did you quarantine the fish? Did you treat your fish while in the QT? If so, with what? When did the cloudiness appear? Are there any other symptoms such as white spots, or is the fish rubbing/flashing against the rocks? Is it breathing hard?

I hope your fish improves. The first thing to worry about is reducing stress and getting it to eat.

Is your tank FOWLR or is it a reef tank?

The cloudiness in one eye. The tank is a 220 gal. reef. No other symptoms other than the fish seems lethargic at times. Fish was in QT for about 30 days. The cloudiness appeared after being harassed by the other tangs.

Yeah I wouldn't move that fish around a lot. You might even consider getting rid of your other tangs because that's a $6000 fish.

Not quite but still don't want to use it :rolleyes:

If it's one eye, then there's a good chance that it injured it while being harassed. If not too bad, then I would see if it heals on its own in the DT. Hopefully it settles in now that you removed the other fish. Is it eating now? At least picking algae off the rocks? Try to keep the water quality high to reduce the chance of infection.

If the eye starts to swell more or some fuzz (fungal infection) appears, then I would move it quickly to a HT for treatment. Not sure what antibiotics others have used. I've used KanaPlex which is a broad spectrum antibiotic that can be absorbed by the skin and gills even if the fish isn't eating. MetroPlex is another, but it is more tailored toward parasitic and viral infections. Because it can be hard to diagnose the type of infection, some people treat with a combination of the two. I haven't tried this personally.  Both of these meds won't kill off your biological filter if you follow the directions. I would consider tracking these antibiotics down (order if only available online) in case you need it. Be careful with some other antibiotics since many do kill off your biological filter and you will have to deal with ammonia through water changes. 

This link also has some good information. http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options-102.189658/

She's not eating yet...............pick p the KanaPlex to mix with the food. The directions state that in order to use in the tank, all invertebrates should be removed. 

Was eating LRS w/mysis shrimp. Just checked on it after the lights went off and it's swimming around the tank so I'm hoping for the best.

That's good it is swimming around. It will eat meaty foods, but it is an herbivore. See if it's eating algae off your rocks. If you don't have enough algae then you might add some dried seaweed. If it eats the seaweed, then you could soak it in the meds to ensure it's eating it. My tangs will eat seaweed from a mag float that I converted for feeding. You could try rubber banding a piece of seaweed to a small rock and place it near the area that it spends most of its time to elicit a natural eating response. I've done this with some angelfish that avoided feeding clips.

• 2 weeks later...