Does anyone using E.S.V b ionic transition elements

dpassar12

I've not used it. People might be able to do some research to see if some or all of the three trace elements are normally provided by other means (feeding your fish, for example).

For what it's worth, here's some additional information that I found at Premium Aquatics regarding trace element content for B-Ionic Transition Elements PLUS+ (which includes organic carbon):

CONCENTRATION: 1ml/20 gals of aquarium water adds a total of 19.4ppb Transition Elements (iron, manganese, zinc) plus 670ppb organic carbon (from citric acid, ascorbic acid, sodium citrate)

IONIC CONTENTS: Citric acid, chloride*, sodium*, ascorbic acid, citrate, sulfate*, iron, potassium*, manganese, sorbate**, zinc
*In natural seawater ratios
**less than 0.05%

i literally just switched over this past weekend from BRS 2 part.   I won't really be able to give you any results for at least a couple months.

i literally just switched over this past weekend from BRS 2 part.   I won't really be able to give you any results for at least a couple months.

So, you've switched to ESV two-part AND are including the transition elements product in your new dosing regimen?

B-Ionic two part should basically be calcium in one solution and alkalinity in a second. They make a magnesium product, too. That's the commonly used third part in "two-part" dosing. None of these should have trace elements. The calcium component is most likely calcium chloride in water. The alkalinity part is probably just sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate in water. The magnesium part is most likely a magnesium chloride or a mix of magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate. These are the "big three" in your seawater after sodium and chloride. The "other" ions (chloride, sodium, and sulfate) are all present in seawater in large amounts so the extra normally does not have a substantial effect on ionic balance. 

However, none of these three have any trace elements unless it's an unavoidable impurity.

B-ionic Transition Elements and Transition Elements Plus is designed to provide other ionic components that are not in the "big three." According to the information that I found (above) it adds iron, manganese, and zinc. Here's a nice article with a helpful pie chart and table.

It does say on their website that it provides trace elements, but who knows? I've heard good thing regardless. I'll update in a few months.

It does say on their website that it provides trace elements, but who knows? I've heard good thing regardless. I'll update in a few months.

Specifically, what product are you looking at of theirs?

Edit: I see what you're talking about now. Hmm. Without they're saying what major, minor and trace elements and in what proportion it's being supplemented in, it's hard to evaluate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ohhhh.....misread...I just do the b ionic2 part....but that has some trace elements I believe

I too have been considering trying Transition Elements.  I also already use both the ESV Salt Mix and the B-Ionic 2-part Calcium Buffer system.

Like you miggs, I also noticed their website description of the 2-part says it provides trace elements.

I just sent ESV and email inquiry asking if the trace elements in each are the same, or if the two products would compliment each other.  I'll report back here when I get a response and find out more.

Got the response back from Bob Stark at ESV, here is what he said:

Hi John,

Thanks for using our products and your interest in the Transition Elements! We have found that the transition elements iron, manganese, and zinc deplete very rapidly in closed reef aquaria even when being supplemented by products containing these elements such as our salt mix and B-ionic Calcium Buffer. As such, we recommend using the products in addition to our other products. Our Transition Elements Plus incorporates carbon dosing (citric acid and vitamin C) and is recommended for systems with nitrate levels over 5 ppm. For systems running with nitrate levels below 5 ppm, or are currently using another form of carbon dosing, we recommend our standard Transition Elements product which does not provide carbon dosing. Hope that helps!

Regards,

Bob Stark
ESV Aquarium Products Inc.

It would be interesting to see if, in an average tank, iron, manganese and zinc really did deplete "very rapidly." Short of available off-the-shelf tests, I guess the only way to establish this is to get water tested by Triton. Even AWT doesn't test for these elements.