Scooter blenny

Joshifer

They are actually occellated dragonets, not blennys. So the same rules for Mandarin dragonets apply to "scooter blennies". They are easier to get eating in many cases, but because they still need pods, theycneed to be in a tank that has been well established, and the tank needs to be large enough to support a good pod population.

I love these guys. It is great to have a male and a couple females.

People buy them because they are not expensive, and because of the deceptive common name which causes people to think it's a blenny which is easier to get to eat. If you can find tank bred or raised dragonet, it would be more expensive, but would eat without such difficulty.

If you have a refugium, you can shake off refugium rock or macros into the DT to get pods in the DT. You can also keep a tiny pile or two of small rubble rock in the back of the tank where pods can populate more easily; the dragonet will hang out around there a lot, which is a sign that it is eating something.

Edited by treesprite

I'd like to know why vendors insist on calling them blennies.

I have 4 in my tank at one time.3 males 1 female.. I had a video of them dancing at nite . Had 2 get rid of 2 of the males getting hostile.. the female got sucked into a mp60. One male going great... I've seen them pick up pellets spit them back out. But never actually keep them down. Pods hunts all day long. Mine will eat frozen mysis.. but that's about it and has to be in the sand rite in front of it. It will not go out of its way to get it like the rest of the fish.

Hm. No scooter for me then. Thanks all.

Many livestock limitations in this hobby only have to last for the length of time it takes us to upgrade our systems. Then the problem becomes figuring out how to chose between so many new options. In other words, include the dragonets in your plans for your future tank.

Many livestock limitations in this hobby only have to last for the length of time it takes us to upgrade our systems. Then the problem becomes figuring out how to chose between so many new options. In other words, include the dragonets in your plans for your future tank.

I've loved mandarins since i was a child. I remember reading my aunts magazine and looking at the pictures back in the early 90s. But that's not something I can keep.

Sticking with my original plan. Clown pair. Yellow clown goby. And a fire fish. Staying away from Royal grammas they hide too much. That fire fish I had used to school with my clowns. Hoping it'll happen again. But everything gets quarantined now I learned my lesson.

A firefish seems like a good choice for you. I used to have a half dozen of them in my old 75 and they were good in a group of that number, but it was a risky thing to try in a tank that small. I might get another group that size when my 120 is set up.

Make sure you put a cover on your tank for the firefish, if you don't already have one.

A firefish seems like a good choice for you. I used to have a half dozen of them in my old 75 and they were good in a group of that number, but it was a risky thing to try in a tank that small. I might get another group that size when my 120 is set up.

Make sure you put a cover on your tank for the firefish, if you don't already have one.

Yeah I have the original cover for my tank. I'm using it on the QT for the clowns.