Will sponges fight?

dpassar12

Was thinking of putting a red plating sponge and a orange fan sponge and a Black ball sponge and blue sponge in the same tank. Not touching but close to each other for a splash of color? Will they wack each other or mind their own business? I have had these guys for years. I wish I could put my. I wish I could put my feather dusters back in the tank but my Copperband will pick at them..   

That is a really interesting question! So far all of my hitch hiker sponges have seemed docile and tolerate each other. I have no idea about the more specialty sponges. As far as I know most sponges are pretty tame.

So just to clarify this- sponges don't actually sting, right?

Corals are all in the phylum Cnidaria so always have a sting to some extent- whereas sponges are not and basically will attack each other through "chemical warfare"(allelopathy). This, I assume, is similar to how large soft corals can wreak havoc in a tank without actually touching anything.

So if one of your sponges happens to be a type that uses Allelopathy, you may see some of the sponges struggle for no other apparent reason. Whether the sponges are touching or not shouldn't make a difference...

Is that right?

So just to clarify this- sponges don't actually sting, right?

Corals are all in the phylum Cnidaria so always have a sting to some extent- whereas sponges are not and basically will attack each other through "chemical warfare"(allelopathy). This, I assume, is similar to how large soft corals can wreak havoc in a tank without actually touching anything.

So if one of your sponges happens to be a type that uses Allelopathy, you may see some of the sponges struggle for no other apparent reason. Whether the sponges are touching or not shouldn't make a difference...

Is that right?

I think that's right. As you know already, sponges are in the Phylum Porifera.

Wikipedia's entry for Porifera does not list nematocysts, or any other type of stinging cell in Porifera, nor does it list stinging as a means of defense. It does list excreted chemicals and shed spicules as deterrents against predation, though.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk