Switching Salt and Weekly water changes

WCorbin82

Good morning I have a question or just a concern about what effects if any on the negative side will my reef have when I plan on switching salts and doing weekly water changes (small amounts every other day Monday, Wednesday, Friday). I currently do water changes with Aqua Forest Reef pro salt mix. I don't have any problems with this salt except the price. Just because I believe in weekly water changes in small amounts to better keep water quality. So my plans are to do small water changes 3 out of 7 days of the week. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Saturday and Sunday no maintenance to the reef. My current tank water volume is 105 main display (Deep Sea Aquatics) and sump water volume maybe 30 gallons (Triggers Emerald 39). My plan is to do 24 gallon per week which is 8 gallon each Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I have mixing containers coming in from amazon that holds 26 gallons. So on The Saturday I will mix up my saltwater and let it mix for 48 hours or so then proceed with my water change that Monday. Which I plan to make it so where all I'm doing is turning valves and pumps on. So pictured below is the salt I would like to switch to. After reading the reviews I'm leaning towards these 2 salt mix. bdb86d0c3ef5e46846e757fdd5b143c7.jpgb5e57a8aeec7d578ea83e5c67aca8d8c.jpg

What's your thoughts if you have any. Thanks for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your plan to gradually switch salts is fine. I'm personally not a huge believer in salt-marketing. Instant Ocean works fine (supplemented if necessary) or RC work fine for me. Practicing good husbandry has a far greater impact.

I think your plan to gradually switch salts is fine. I'm personally not a huge believer in salt-marketing. Instant Ocean works fine (supplemented if necessary) or RC work fine for me. Practicing good husbandry has a far greater impact.

Ok thank you I just wanted to see if anybody has had any negative experiences in switch salt. I actually think I'm gonna do Instant Ocean since it's more budget friendly but I do like that some salts have levels where dosing the tank isn't needed. So my goal is not to dose or not as much and to keep parameters good. If I'm gonna dose it's gonna be trace elements or coral food

dose or not is also depending on what corals you have in your tank. as bigger tank is more stable than smaller tank. Also considering sps vs lps vs soft corals. some salt branch claimed to have high level of cal, alk, mag and others but its price is much higher. so you have to put that into account too.  Whichever works best for you in the long run than do it.

dose or not is also depending on what corals you have in your tank. as bigger tank is more stable than smaller tank. Also considering sps vs lps vs soft corals. some salt branch claimed to have high level of cal, alk, mag and others but its price is much higher. so you have to put that into account too. Whichever works best for you in the long run than do it.

Thanks for that insight. Not really into the sticks so I'm mostly LPS and soft corals. I figured the cost of buying dosing supplements vs paying more for salt that already have those levels balance out. I have a doser but haven't used it yet by Jeabo. I like to keep things simple so I can enjoy the hobby more so WWC (Weekly Water Changes)

Dosing isnt necessary with any of the salts; they're all at or above NSW and you arent going to do better than NSW. Which salt you go with is personal preference; I've tried many the last 20+ years and I've never noticed a difference with the inhabitants of the tank. Consumption is consumption. Pick which ever you like. I've never done the really frequent water changes but I am a firm believer in doing them every two weeks or so. The auto water change systems out there do have some appeal for me, I just have dived in yet.