Tank transfer.

Joshifer

I'm preparing to transfer. I asked this before. But I'm gonna ask again to be sure. (I might of asked in a different forum)

Transferring from 6G to 20G.

6lb rock and 10lbs of sand. (I can add more dry sand if it's not enough my live sand will make that one alive).

My plan is the night before. Fill it up about 15 gallons with my distilled water (which I love it gave me no problems or diatoms or anything. I don't even have diatom eaters).

Add the salt. Turn all the pumps on heaters everything get it all mixed to match the 6G.

Following afternoon. Put fish and corals and hermits in a bucket with 90% of the tank water.

Swish my live rock around in another bucket with tank water. get the gunk off. And place it in the 20. Then slowly start transferring the sand over to the 20G.

Transfer livestock to the 20G. Lights off not to stress anything. Should I add the old water too? They'll only be in there like 15 20 mins I don't foresee a sand cloud as I'll be lowering the sand with Tupperware slowly into the 20.

Top off the remainder with new salt water. Dose with prime just in case.

Wait a week and slowly add more cured live rock weekly. Small pieces not to set off a mini cycle. Or should I add dry base rock that was never alive. After letting it leech in old Tank water for a week?

I'm not upping my bioload. Theirs no other fish I like. MAYBE a yellow goby in a couple weeks.

I want rock to attach coral to. I don't need more biofiltrafion

Edited by Joshifer

Sounds like a decent plan to me!

Really? No problems at all? I wanna do it proper. Not to kill or stress or set off any blooms or cycles.

What's your thought on adding rock.

You might want to also add bottled bacteria, some people believe in it, some people don't. I would add it when you put in the initial batch of water (the night before the move) and more when you do the actual transfer.

You might want to also add bottled bacteria, some people believe in it, some people don't. I would add it when you put in the initial batch of water (the night before the move) and more when you do the actual transfer.

I'm a firm believer in bottled bacteria. I actually have some Seachem stability. But the night before. It'll just be water in there mixing. Theirs nothing for the bacteria to attach to.

I'm a firm believer in bottled bacteria. I actually have some Seachem stability. But the night before. It'll just be water in there mixing. Theirs nothing for the bacteria to attach to.

It will attach to your pumps and heaters. You could put some sand in there too if you wanted to get that started and as a place for bacteria to begin to settle and reproduce.

It will attach to your pumps and heaters. You could put some sand in there too if you wanted to get that started and as a place for bacteria to begin to settle and reproduce.

Okay once the salinity is over 1.020 I'll add some of my sand and dose it with bacteria the night before. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should have plenty of bacteria on your rock and sand that you'll be reusing. It's already perfectly suited to the bioload that you have right now and will grow as the bioload increases (if you add more). 

You're system has not been up and operating all that long, so it's doubtful that you have much in the way of detritus stuck in the sand, but it might not be a bad idea to give it a quick rinse with your old tank water to flush any residue up and out.  

I'd probably still spend a time acclimating the fish as you move them if they're headed into new water. Acclimate inverts longer.