Cleaning Acrylic

mr11

I'm baffled when it comes to cleaning acrylic. I started with basic blue "Quickie" brand cheap microfiber cloth from an automotive store and I am convinced these left microscratches in my acrylic. I tested a fresh cloth on a small part of a tank that had never seen water before and still noticed the microscratches.

I then bought this fancy detailers choice microfiber spa pack from HD. They don't scratch but they also are not absorptive and simply spread around whatever it is I'm trying to wipe up. 

I use magic erasers for inside the tank which work great. 

What are some proven products to effectively clean the outside of acrylic tanks? Thanks in advance

i use Harris Teeter brand of Magic erasers, just the plain one( NO ADDED CLEANERS for anyone who has never used these) as I recall they were way cheaper then the branded Mr Clean...  I also use Mag cleaners with the acrylic pad for a quick wipe downs when needed... 

If you've got fine scratches on the front, you can polish them out. I've used Novus plastic polish (#2) for fine scratches and their clean and shine (#1) product for general cleaning in the past. As with any cleaner, I'm extra careful around the tank and use as little as needed to get the job done. See novuspolish.com for more information.

Appreciate it. I actually have a brand new acrylic tank and I'm trying to avoid getting microscratches as much as possible. I'll check out the clean and shine

A paper towel will leave very fine scratches on the acrylic but a quality microfiber towel wont leave any unless there is something stuck to it. They work best if they're hung to dry and with no fabric softeners added to the wash cycle.

Edited by madweazl