anemone lighting

Customride0105

Ok I have 2 questions for the anemone guru's..

I'm setting up a new tank to be plumbed into my 450 set up.

What type of anemone needs low light (ie marineland freshwater light)

Since it's being plumbed into my main tank will I be able to get away with a cheap led light.

Last question what harm will happen to a eel if it gets to close. Plan is to add my jap dragon eel with a anemone and a few clowns I know don't say the eel will eat the clowns. He hasn't ate any of his tank mates in about a 1 yr of having him. I don't know if adding a anemone will be a good idea just want the clowns to be happy also.

But number one priority is the eel..

Anemones often need pristine water conditions, high light, and decent flow. (At least the ones that host clownfish seem to.) Please research both the species requirements and whether or not clowns will host in it before committing in this direction. Not all anemones are hospitable hosts (some will eat your fish, instead). Many derive a lot of their energy from light (via zooxanthellae in their tissue). 

^^^^ that's why I'm wondering if I actually can get away with a lower end light I'm limited on space for a light as its going under kitchen cabinets and the Marieland light will fit if I chop off the legs and it sits rite on top of the tank but don't want to go crazy on a led light just for a annemone. I can squeeze in my radions in there but I'm cutting the cabinets and don't want to.

Don't need to worry about the water qutility or flow. Just worried about the light. And do I want to get a 300 dollar light for just a anemone when main thing in the tank is a dragon eel.

I'd skip it, then. Clowns will host on a lot of things, including inanimate objects like power heads, rocks, etc. Dave Lin had a pair of clowns once that hosted on a snowflake eel. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

Actually, they hosted on a zebra moray eel - made the snowflake jealous he didn't have any fish to hang with him!

Condylactus anemones are not quite as demanding as other anemones and might be a good solution for you.  That said, they do sting clownfish a little bit and only certain ones will host in it.  Eels, anemones, and clowns are a neat combination but my main concern for you would be the size of the tank and how big a Japanese Dragon Moray gets.  Last thing you'd want to see is your dragon eel jumping out of a tank that is sized too small for it, especially if you have to go open top because you're trying to provide lights for an anemone.

Perfect Dave that's what I wanted to know. Tank is 4ftx2ftx 16 inches. It by no means is a small tank length wise. But height wise is small but he never goes to the top or even middle of his 30inch high tank stays on the bottom and on top of the rocks. He is really a great eel. Max length on them is around 36 inches. Tank is getting a recessed lid with hinge so the front opens and the back stays closed.

I figured I would have the tank set up so he can help feed the sps in the big tank

I have 2 extreme frostbite snowflakes that hose a hammer and a mp60(only at nite)

IL look into that anemone any other suggestions on one's that don't sting. Like a carpet but they require high light. I can't fit any black boxes in cause the fans would be blocked by the top cabinets