CO2 regulator for freshwater planted aquarium

astroboy

Hello, a bit off topic but given the depth of knowledge in this club I'm sure someone has some good advice.

Besides my reef tanks I have a 90 gallon freshwater tank which I plan to keep discus in. I've had a lot of plants in it for 18 months, mainly swords, but but they just don't grow well without CO2. With it, they grow great (360 Watts compact fluorescents, probably more than I need...). I've used a Milwaukee MA 957 pressure regulator, one worked OK some years back, the one I got 18 months ago failed within a few months, pure junk. In both cases, when the CO2 tank was near empty there was a CO2 dump which killed the (cheap) fish I had at the time. I'd rather not repeat the experience with some pricey fish. I was careful about checking the pressure and weight of the tank but I got caught twice, although the second time was because the Milwaukee reg failed, I'm sure. 

As I understand it, there are two stage pressure regulators, something like a scuba reg, which deal well with the end of tank dump. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy, or where to get some good information on this (hardware that deals with end of tank dump?)

Thanks,

Mark

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the very good advice about the Carbon Doser. Seems to be far and away the best option out there by a long shot, I'll be buying one in a few days.

Next question: any recommendations for a CO2 diffuser or reactor? I've never been happy with the glass diffusers I've had, partly bubbles, partly because I could never clean them enough to get them to work the way when they were brand new. I've considered combining a shaded glass diffuser (to avoid algae growth) that would sort of feed into a small powerhead, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better solution.

Thanks in advance,

Mark