anybody sell algae scrubbers

Irishfist25

im thinking of adding an algae scrubber to my 180.  ive seen alot of different ways to do it DIY, but wondered if anybody locally makes them and sells them.  I would be interested if they do.  Also any reason why algae scrubbers are bad?

Not local, but turbo aquatics (Bud aka Floyd R Turbo on RC and R2R) makes nice ones. I bought one from him - pricey, but good build quality and wonderful customer support. Santa Monica Filtration also makes some. I tried the HOG2 for about a month and didn't get any growth. The one I got from Turbo gets pretty good growth (L2 Rev 4).

I also bought the L2 Rev 4 from Turbo. I haven't installed it yet but looking at it it's well thought out and high quality. The downside is the cost when the DIY alternative is cheap and easy.

thanks everybody for sharing.  i checked out the ones from turbo aquatics, although they look very good, im not looking to spend 400 on one.  hahaha, i've heard of good DIY ones that cost anywhere from 50-80.  i was hoping to find somebody that makes those and sells for 100-150 or less :)  keep sharing your thoughts or experiences though

They're a piece of cake to make for next to nothing (and work very well) however, they're noisy when done in such fashion. You can keep them quiet by laying them down across the water but that takes up a considerable amount of room and is only effective on one side. 

Have you seen "the King of DIY"? He posted a video not long ago of one he made. Takes up very little space and he says cost 50 bucks to make.

Have you seen "the King of DIY"? He posted a video not long ago of one he made. Takes up very little space and he says cost 50 bucks to make.

I have not; dont even know who the king of DIY is lol. /crawlsbackunderrock

Check him out on YouTube , he has tons of cheap DIY stuff you can do. Mostly with aquariums and equipment. He also did a review for artfully acrylic on one of the drop off tanks