ID Help Please.

Sad Panda

(edited)
When my tank lights came on today I saw on two of my (I believe they are GSP) long grassy softies, before they opened up what looks like large cotton type stuff growing in the middle of them. I tried blowing it off with a turkey baster but it appears well attached. It does move a bit in the current so its not a solid. and its not anything that fell on or accumulated on the GSP. Any ideas and if it is bad and suggestions? I'm pretty worried because I don't want it to spread and choke them.

Thank you.

IMG 1524 (683x1024)

Edited by Sad Panda

Im not an expert but,it's irritated some corals when stressed secrete this white film.what are your water parameters? Second have you done anything lately

flow,lights etc.. any changes? Second and I'm guessing this u might have a parasite infestation possibly Bristle Worms. The reason I'm bringing this up I once saw a thread and I read they like to make holes and maybe they r under the Gsp eating away from the inside making new holes.but check for parasites with lights and at night too with a flash light.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

(edited)

Nothing has changed or been added in over two months. Water parameters are all in range. And I looked at photos of bristle worm and they all appear to have some color, these things I have are all white like snow and now that I mention it sort of look like a clump of snow.

Edited by Sad Panda

Can you take a close up picture and to the parasite I was thinking more it was irrating the Gsp it may not be there now but they go to work when the lights r off check then. But the mucus I'm sure it's a defence and under a lot of stress. If you want to help it out u can,buy Bayer for the bugs as for healing I would get an,iodine solution and start dipping that should help the coral gain back some

they are attached to large rocks on my base so I can not take them out to dip. Now all the GPS is open around the white stuff but in the center where the white stuff is they have not opened. And it is only on two GPS nothing else.

Ok I guess the next step would be to see for any possible parsites disturbing the middle I'm sure there is a culperate somewhere under the Gsp

I will look tomorrow when I get home from work. But it's in the exact center of two separate GPS in opposite sides of the tank. I will also try a large water change.

Is there a neighboring coral that could have attacked it? They can puke up digestive material that will literally eat the victim (I don't have permissions to view the larger image so I cant see what is going on there).

Try seeing if you can scrub it off with a soft toothbrush. The coral does look like GSP but the white stuff is alien to me. Could be sponge or a fungus, but I'm just guessing at this point.

Hey, Sad Panda, it just came to my attention that you have the WAMAS album that this picture is in set to PRIVATE. That's keeping others from clicking on and enlarging the picture. Please head over to your gallery and set this album to PUBLIC. 

(edited)

ok I will now didn't know that.

Ok done....I think it is much clearer when you click on it.

Edited by Sad Panda

I scrubbed most off with a tooth brush (it was really on there) and did a 40% water change.

Also just learned a lesson. Found a worm in my sump and picked it out (stupid without gloves I know) and my finger started to tingle and burn. Research shows it to be a fire worm. Not sure where THAT came from.

Also just learned a lesson. Found a worm in my sump and picked it out (stupid without gloves I know) and my finger started to tingle and burn. Research shows it to be a fire worm. Not sure where THAT came from.

Bristleworm. Very common and, for the most part, a beneficial scavenger. 

(Leave it in there) bristle worm yes but I keep being told that the fire worm is BAD for the coral????????????

Ouch put your hand in vinegar for 20 min or so,it will dissolve the bristles

As for your question yes there are some bad fire worms but most likely it's benign.it's really up to you I would leave it since its a good scavenger.

Ok thank you as always for the responses. This is the first fire worm issue I have had and as always I value this communities advice. I will leave any others I see for now. 

Ok thank you as always for the responses. This is the first fire worm issue I have had and as always I value this communities advice. I will leave any others I see for now. 

Ive never seen one eat anything it wasnt supposed to (usually something is dead or dying and they get the blame).