NEW APEX version released........Controller help,

Der ABT

Alright so I've been thinking about a new controller for a while and have been too out of it...now this

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/05/24/nextgen-apex-announced-by-neptune-systems/

Currently have an aciii pro which I'm having issues to get online....love it but it's been a while since I've had to do an online set up (anyone wanting to help would be appreciated. ...can't even get the thing when connected to my pc)

But looks like apex has announced a new version

I have a hard time swallowing 800 bucks for anything let alone a light timer.....but there are some cool features

So I have alot of aciii products, dc8s, breakout box, i/o thing, and all are working fine I just can't do anything on the phone or by computer that I'd love to have....or emails notices.

So what's everyone's opinion....sounds like the apex classic is going to no longer be supported if something breaks hardware wise....

Makes me wonder about picking up a used one

For 2 tanks I'd really just need the pm1 I think for the extra temp probe

And seems like all my old stuff dc8s, lunar sim, breakout etc should still work...though I'm not sure there would be enough ports as some still use a serial port

I know its no really a question but asking for a discussion....so how bout this

What are the things you consider a necessity on your current controller for your tank....pm1, pm2, wxm, lunar, etc.......

I love the video with the neptune founder saying how rediculous the early controllers were...1k...and scoffing.....now the apex is 800....haha

The power bar looks huge and I don't think it would fit in my setup - particularly since I currently run two of them.  The additional benefit of the power bar is supposed to be per outlet energy use statistics where as on the current one you just get the amps the whole bar is drawing.  While that would be nice, I think I prefer having the bar be half the size and not look like a kids toy.

The control head apparently has some upgrades so it can run more software on it rather than in the cloud, has built in wireless, and can do updates on the fly.  I would appreciate these improvements.  They say that eventually you will be able to buy the control head alone and it will be backwards compatible with all the existing stuff (energy bars, modules, etc).  

If I were buying today, I'd save my money and get the current controller.  Premium Aquatics is even having a sale right now to clear out stock with an old style probe for $450.  That's what I would get.  If and when this new control head proves itself, I might upgrade to that but keep on using all the old energy bars.

(edited)

The only thing that isn't backwards compatible is the new eb8

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by khh27

Yeh I'd still be using my dc8s cause I do t really care about dimming or have anything apex ready for dimming as my d120s are manual dimmers

Sounds like waiting for just the head and using all I have

No.  The DC8 is now 2 generations old.  The current power bar is the EB8 (Energy Bar 8).  It does run aquabus.

None of the power bars have variable output outlets.  The 0-10 V outputs come off the control head (the current model has 4 outputs).  There might be some more DC outputs and possible 24V outputs on the brand new one, but that is pretty irrelevant to my setup.  Even with Tunze controllable pumps and a dimmable fuge light, I'm only using 3 out of the 4 variable outputs.  Most lights use a separate module so variable lights often does not consume one of the 0-10V outputs.

Anyone know the release date? Should be a good time to shop for the old version so not a complete thread jack I hope.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've seen a couple of these being sold in the for sale section. What's the verdict is it worth the money or was it just hype?

It certainly comes with some nice things but I don't get others; the relay box is pretty large now and the color scheme just seems bizarre to me. I want the controller to disappear as much as possible. On the other hand, it does eliminate some wire runs and it comes with some nice probes too.