Real Good Power Outage Alert System

bbyatv

So I just found a real good android app that can alert you via sms text message or email that the power is out in your house.  It also pings you multiple times a day to let you know it is running and active.

The way it works is if the android device becomes unplugged or the power goes out, it sends a text message and email alerting of the problem.

I used an old android smart phone to load the app.  This phone does not have an active SIM card so it cannot send text messages in my case, but it does have wifi and so it can send emails.

I added a UPS to the wifi router so when the power goes out it can keep running for a bit.  It only needs to stay running long enough for the phone to send the email.

I already had a fairly big UPS on a couple of power heads in the tank.

Bang!  It works like a charm.  I unplugged the UPS with the router connected and the phone and I got an email in about 10 seconds.  Then when I plug things back in I get another message saying the power is back on.

If the power goes down while I am at work, I now can get my butt home fast and get things straight.

Here is a link to the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sqzsoft.powerfailuremonitor&hl=en

I tried the other android power outage apps and none were as good as the one I provided the link to.  Also, I paid the $1.99 to get rid of the adds.  There is a free version.

I also looked for an Ios app and there is not one.  There are a couple that will sound an alarm, but not send emails or text messages.

So for $1.99, the cost of a cheap UPS, and an old cell phone, I have a reliable power outage alert system.

And it does not require a phone line in the house.

Bruce

Thanks a lot guess I'll be on the look out for someone with an old android for sure now

Sometimes people lose power to their tank because a circuit breaker trips, but the rest of the house still has power.

I would plug in the UPS and the phone on the same circuit as your tank.  That way you'll be notified if the whole house loses power, and also if just the tank power goes out.

Sometimes people lose power to their tank because a circuit breaker trips, but the rest of the house still has power.

I would plug in the UPS and the phone on the same circuit as your tank. That way you'll be notified if the whole house loses power, and also if just the tank power goes out.

That is a VERY good point, that has happened multiple times to me.

Just quick question. If you lose power and lose wifi how will it be able to alert you?