Planning a metal stand

WilRams

A few months ago I picked up a tank from a WAMAS member with a metal stand. Its been years since I had a metal stand on an old 75g tank. I forgot how much I love them! Now I'm in the planning stages of my big boy tank. Well big to me. The tank is 72Lx36Wx24H. It will be skinned with panels attached with magnets. No equipment underneath as it will be backing into the unfinished part of my basement. My main concern is about wanting the panels flush with the tank. I figure the skin will be skinned with 3/4" material (Undetermined but def not MDF!) and laminated. Can I get the metal stand made 3/4" smaller all the way around? (really only the front and 2 sides) The tank itself will have its entire footprint supported by whatever I choose to put on top of the stand. I have seen something similar on smaller tanks just did not know how that would translate to a bigger tank.

I would also like to hear what my options are for skinning the stand. Im going for the simple high gloss white look like I had on my cadlights tank. At some point I had come across some sort of marine grade laminate but I lost the link and I'm sure it was pricey. 

With a steel stand you don't need heavy duty materials for skinning.  3/4" isn't necessary, and you could easily go with 1/2".  You may start to get some warpage with 1/4" but maybe not; depends on the material you use.

It sounds like colored acrylic is your best bet for covering your stand.  You could have it professionally joined at the corners for a very finished look.  It's light, waterproof, and relatively cheap compared to other materials with similar characteristics, like marine grade laminate.

I bet 1/4" acrylic would work well.  You'd have to check with your tank manufacturer, but I'll bet you could have a 1/4" cantilever from the stand, so that the tank and stand skin would be flush.

Edited by Jon Lazar

You bring up a good point. I'm use to buying 3/4 plywood for other projects that it was stuck in my head. By using a thinner material I can greatly reduce the amount I need to cantilever. Acrylic I would worry about warping though.

I'm not understanding why you'd like to reduce the tank dimensions by 3/4" all around.  Is this so the stand finish comes flush with the tank above?  Is the 3/4" dimension to fit the 3/4" material you are considering as a "skin"?  

Even if you reduce the skin material to 1/4", you'll still have to account for the thickness of the magnets if you want the stand finish to be flush with the tank.  

Or maybe you've already figured that out and I don't get what you're trying to do.

Sorry my wording may not have been the best. Correct I want everything flush. The magnets will be countersunk into the skin. The 3/4" measurement was based off my initial thought of 3/4" material. If I can go with 1/2" or even 1/4" material then the stand would only be made that much smaller.

Here is an example of what I have seen before. 

Cube-09_zpsx5ydwkce.jpg

Cube-13_zpsvnpxfmro.jpg

I would worry about the corners and edges not being supported. Especially if the sides do not sit on top of the bottom glass like the picture. All that would be holding the side glass is the silicone.

I like to weld a steel stand and leave a .25" space for acrylic skin. Then use magnets tohold the acrylic to the stand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk