Do you use sump filter socks?

Reefer_Madness

Use filter socks  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use filter socks in your sump?

Just curious who has stopped using their sump filter socks.  I've talked to a couple of people here on Wamas that have decided to stop using them and had good results.  Depending on how frequently you switch them out, I would assume there would be a nutrient increase.  I've used them for a long time, but like to evolve with the times.  I don't like the fact that the socks filter out coral food, but I want to hear some "case studies" of people who had good luck.

The other thought it to just go to mesh socks.  This would help with micro bubbles, but let the small stuff through.

I'd be interested to hear what you have tried and how it worked.   

I have 2 on my Innovative marine sr80. I change 1x per week.

Never have...just vaccum out the sump every so often...tried the powerheads in the first chamber that turned on randomly and found it didn't do too much for me.

Been thinking of trying then out with the new tank but haven't taken the time yet

(edited)

Never have...just vaccum out the sump every so often...tried the powerheads in the first chamber that turned on randomly and found it didn't do too much for me.

Been thinking of trying then out with the new tank but haven't taken the time yet

Thanks for the info. My plan WAS similar to yours. I was thinking about put a powerhead in the sump and taking off the socks. Sounds like it didn't work. Good idea though.

Why go back to socks? Just curious.

Edited by Reefer_Madness

It worked but still had to syphon every so often ....basically corners would get build up vs a blanket

Put the maxijet to better use on a frag tank

If it was more powerful like a wp25 or something I bet it woulda been pretty good

How is your skimmer fed is a very impotent question here.

If by a manifold off the return it likely would NOT see much of the detritus.....or off a biopellet reactor like mine was.

If open Intake from that sump chamber may do alot better

How is your skimmer fed is a very impotent question here.

If by a manifold off the return it likely would NOT see much of the detritus.....or off a biopellet reactor like mine was.

If open Intake from that sump chamber may do alot better

My skimmer is off my manifold in its own compartment.

(edited)

What do you mean by warm?

He's just teasing. They are sock filters that you plumb your overflow into. They are typically in your sump. Similar to the pic below.

93f072538a0fa22cd0dff0612528edfa.jpg

Edited by Reefer_Madness

Sorry couldn't resist the joke

I could see them being more useful since you have it set up on a manifold off the return .....

But if your doing water changes by hand and can easily clean out that section of your sump...key is to actually do it.....you may save some headache from cleaning the socks.

I'm planning a manifold and will try em out to see how good I can be at cleaning them and if it gets annoying out they go and I'll syphon the sump when I remember

I do, however I found my tank did best when I was not running socks. I even tried to do mesh ones and it wasn't the same. Apparently limpets really like all that stuff filter socks filter out because after I did socks again, they died out. However I have felt socks on my temp system and it is really helping to collect algae that gets blown around and into the overflow. I think there are a lot of pros and cons to filter socks, both mesh and felt, and every tank is different and especially with that works for them. I do plan on using socks in my new build, most likely mesh to try and let the micro particle food through while catching the large stuff.

I run one... last tank was the first time and I decided to keep on my new setup... I like them polishes the water and keeps sump fairly clean... although I clean my sump pretty often too...

I clean mine every week, rinse and soak in peroxide

I run one... last tank was the first time and I decided to keep on my new setup... I like them polishes the water and keeps sump fairly clean... although I clean my sump pretty often too...

I clean mine every week, rinse and soak in peroxide

Looks like something to invest in

I have never used them and don't think I ever will. I have seen great tanks with and without.

I say try it for a few weeks/months and observe for any ill effects. Happy reefing!

Sent using my Windows Phone.

I have never used them and don't think I ever will. I have seen great tanks with and without.

I say try it for a few weeks/months and observe for any ill effects. Happy reefing!

Sent using my Windows Phone.

I think I'm going to do some baseline measurements with socks and then take them out to see how things change over the following months. I'll have to figure out the bubble control since I hate micro bubbles in my tank.