Alkalinity drop

Bbwebb

Partial panic mode here.  I tested my Alk, Ca, and Mg this morning and my Alk had a huge drop since last Sunday.  Last Sunday my Alk measured 7.7 which was low (I like to keep it around 8.5), but I wasn't too concerned.  I made a few adjustments on my Ca Reactor and figured I would move it back to 8.5 over the next couple of weeks.  I checked it today and it was down to 5.5!  In hindsight I should have checked it every day since last Sunday, but too late for that.  I did some investigation and I think some air was getting into the peristaltic pump line so my reactor was not moving nearly as much water as it should.  I've fixed that and will start slowly dosing b-ionic Alk for the next several days.

Should I be in full panic mode with a 5.5 level?  Honestly everything looks happy and I have a fair amount of SPS.  Calcium was a little low at 385ppm, but not crazy low.  Magnesium was at a respectable 1250ppm.  pH is a little off, it usually runs between 7.9 and 8.1 for night/day.  Last night it was 7.82/8.03.

Right now my plan is to test every day, try to move the Alk level up a little at a time, and not over-react.

Thoughts?  Should I be doing anything else?

Thanks

Bill

Sounds like a good plan. Bring it up slow

If you're at 5.5 and you trust the reading, then I'd bump it up to 7 over 24 hours then up at 1 dKH per day from there. I personally don't like being below 7. 

I tested the water 4 times with two different test kits, so I believe it. I've added 30ml of b-ionic part 1 so far. I'll get another 30ml in tonight and check my levels again.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. All is back to normal now. I ended up losing one frag from my frag rack, but otherwise everything looks happy. I took about 5 days to get my alk normalized, and I'm still testing everyday to ensure that my numbers are solid. I'll go back to weekly testing once I have a week or so of unchanging levels.