Thin film on top of water

jon_703

So I have a thing later or "dirt" at the top of my water. It seems to be only on one side l, the side where the water isn't moving as much.

Any suggestions?

post-2635981-14580875342_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

A little more explanation. An overflow or equivalent provides surface skimming. To be effective, the water in an overflow needs to "drop" a little to pull the surface water in. Additionally, there needs to be enough surface movement so there are no dead spots. If either of these 2 conditions are not met you will build up surface film.

You might have had something die in the tank or have some die off from rock work. The only time I saw this was when I lost my old hippo tang. Might not hurt to check ammonia level

I don't have an overflow unfortunately. But I will tilt the head a little more and see if that helps.

Thanks!

No overflow? How are you skimming the surface water then?

I'm going to guess you're using a canister filter or similar setup. Assuming that's correct, the simplest solution is probably to add a dedicated surface skimmer. They're simple, cheap, and do the job.

Your picture shows a skimmer pump with an elbow and some sort of contraption on the end of the elbow. By chance, is that supposed to skim the surface? If so, it may be sitting just a little low. What skimmer are you using?

You're picture shows a skimmer pump with an elbow and some sort of contraption on the end of the elbow. By chance, is that supposed to skim the surface? If so, it may be sitting just a little low. What skimmer are you using?

You should also make sure that you have enough surface agitation to keep the organic film on the move so it can get skimmed off. 

I found it. You've got a Reef Octopus BH100SS HOB skimmer. The "SS" on the part number indicates that it came equipped with a surface skimming cup. That contraption on the intake side of the pump is, in fact, that surface skimming cup. In your case, it's not adjusted to the right height to perform surface skimming. Here's the manual for that skimmer. The drawing shows an o-ring on the "adjusting pipe." I suspect that, by moving the o-ring up and down the pipe, you can adjust the height of the cup. Adjust it closer to the surface so that surface water "falls" into the cup to skim the surface. The instruction says to put the cup about 1/2 inch under the surface of the water but you may need to tweak it a little to get it to do what it needs to do.

I'm going to guess you're using a canister filter or similar setup. Assuming that's correct, the simplest solution is probably to add a dedicated surface skimmer. They're simple, cheap, and do the job.

Yes I'm using a Fluval 405 filter. I'm also using a Reef Octopus 100 HOB Skimmer

I found it. You've got a Reef Octopus BH100SS HOB skimmer. The "SS" on the part number indicates that it came equipped with a surface skimming cup. That contraption on the intake side of the pump is, in fact, that surface skimming cup. In your case, it's not adjusted to the right height to perform surface skimming. Here's the manual for that skimmer. The drawing shows an o-ring on the "adjusting pipe." I suspect that, by moving the o-ring up and down the pipe, you can adjust the height of the cup. Adjust it closer to the surface so that surface water "falls" into the cup to skim the surface. The instruction says to put the cup about 1/2 inch under the surface of the water but you may need to tweak it a little to get it to do what it needs to do.

Awesome!!!!! Thanks Origami!!!!! I'll take a look at the manual shortly. I didn't know it had at surface skimmer.

Good eye!! Dang...

Gotta always beat Origami to a thread to add a comment because I will never be able to add anything once he has analyzed a reef problem :) Strong work! Would also adjust the flu all return towards the surface (I resuscitated mine and use it for surface agitation in my 220G fuge which has too little clearance above it to easily maintain power heads).

Sooo, I adjusted the surface skimmer so it's closer to the surface. There still seems to be a "film" at the top. 

Sooo, I adjusted the surface skimmer so it's closer to the surface. There still seems to be a "film" at the top. 

Is it actually skimming the surface? Do you see it pulling stuff down? If not, try adjusting it a little higher. You'll still need better flow across the top from other circulation in the tank.

Then give it a few days to see if the problem clears up. It's good to get that film off as it can possibly inhibit gas exchange (oxygen in, carbon dioxide out) at the surface.

Then give it a few days to see if the problem clears up. It's good to get that film off as it can possibly inhibit gas exchange (oxygen in, carbon dioxide out) at the surface.

It's all gone!!! It's completely clear at the top.

Is it normal to have some small partials floating around the tank?

It's all gone!!! It's completely clear at the top.

Is it normal to have some small partials floating around the tank?

Glad to hear it. It's not uncommon to see microparticles. However, they're often either filtered out thru filter socks or, in some cases, settle out. Your canister filter should trap most particles in time.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it. It's not uncommon to see microparticles. However, they're often either filtered out thru filter socks or, in some cases, settle out. Your canister filter should trap most particles in time.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Thanks. It's just annoying to see stuff floating around in the current.