Peroxide

Sad Panda

I have two small pieces of rock in my quarantine that have coralline algae on them I want to scrap off to seed my new tank. The rock also has a lot of hair algae on it. Can I dip them in a peroxide solution to kill the hair algae or will it also kill the coralline algae?

I would use natural methods of removal, snails, hermits, manual removal, scrubbing, pulling, first.

You hear people doing it with frags like zoanthids because you can't scrub the polyps and get the base like you can on rock.

A little hair algae isn't a bad thing, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to be snarky, but are "spores" avoidable in practice? E.g. algae turf scrubbers will grow hair algae whether or not there are visible hair algae in the system (or at least that is what I've read).

Same here, it's honestly intended as a question. I was always told that the dumbest questions are the ones you don't ask. Anyone who has managed to keep out all hair algae spores, please share. Thanks!

Hi

Jumping in with far less reef keeping experience than others but I can honestly say GHA was one of the easiest problems to fix in my system, I bought a bunch of blue hermits, upped my water changes and it took care of itself, you could also try carbon dosing. I have all kinds of undesirable stuff in my Fuge but my DT is clean as a whistle, I only keep LPS and softies in my tank but I don't even run a skimmer anymore, I have a large fuge and a GFO/Carbon reactor with 15% WC weekly and everything is good. not saying get rid of your skimmer, but your going to have all kinds of random problems in a new system and Hair algae is really one of the easier ones to fix.

That early algae might be helpful for water quality, anyway, while the system is maturing. Aesthetics aside, algae sucks excess nutrients and CO2 out of the water and adds oxygen. What's not to like?