Why you should use a feeder for certain fish

paul b

I have been using a baby brine shrimp feeder for many years. Notice the blue stripe pipefish and the mandarin are pregnant as they always are.

Also a white worm feeder for mandarins that keep other fish out. Worms are injected into tube at surface

Edited by paul b

Yes, it does. I remove it every couple of weeks to clean or replace the stocking (mesh) on top

I discuss it here and in my book

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/diy-target-feeder-mandarinfish-pipefish-2804/

Awesome i was just about to ask for a link for how to set this up

Since you've been doing it for so long, how much time each day do you think you spend on your hatch/feed operation?  I assume you do it pretty much every day if you're home?

(edited)

I spend about 5 minutes a day doing this. I put eggs in the hatchery, the next day I open the valve and the shrimp come out, the shells stay in the thing. I strain them and shoot them into the feeder and hatch more eggs. I start the eggs in a different container every day because they take a little longer than a day to hatch. If you want to keep certain fish, you need to do this

Edited by paul b

OK.  I know this is about your feeder, not your hatchery, but you have two of those little dual-chamber boxes to hatch them?  I've never understood the "valve" part in the hatchery that lets them go from one side to the other.  In the picture that you posted in the past it looks like you have a hole with a piece of tubing shoved in it that is cut diagonally at the end.

It is just a hole about 3/8". I built a sliding door that closes the thing. There is a tube stuck in it but it ends even with the side with the sliding door so the door could slide. It would work without the tube but I think the shrimp see the light better with the tube. I am sure a plane hole would work. You can close the hole with a cork, a pencil or anything else you devise. You can even glue a small ball valve in there. Use your imagination.

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/diy-brine-shrimp-hatchery-shell-separator-2842/

No, the white worm feeder is an acrylic tube.

This is my vacation hatchery/feeder, it is a new design I am testing out. Basically it adds shrimp eggs every day to the thing and they hatch out throughout the day and feed the fish. it can work for a week, maybe two before it would need to be cleaned.

I have used this when I went to Hawaii and Europe and it worked well. (this is also in my book)

2015-04-24%2023.40.34_zpsij74gcil.jpg