Night time hitchhiker ID please

rain

Ok so I've seen a few of these small white flatworm things come out at night in my biocube. Now all of a sudden I have a ton of them but at night only. During the day they disappear. They are maybe a little less than a quarter of an inch long. Between 1/8 and 1/4 inch maybe. Tank seems great. All corals, fish and anemones happy. What are these and should I be worried? Thanks!!

post-2635782-0-66054000-1454464092_thumb.jpeg

post-2635782-0-01780200-1454464106_thumb.jpeg

Look like some type of flatworm. It's probably a phase, and they will wax and wane.

Look like chitons to me, not a worm. Looks like it has a segmented shell on its back. They are pretty much algae grazers for the most part, harmless and beneficial to have. To verify look up a picture of one and then compare as your picture may not be able to get enough detail to see on the site.

Thanks Dave. I think you are right about the chitons. I looked them up and that looks like them. They do look like white roly poly bugs. Weird I have an explosion of them as I don't have much algae at all. I can see them not lasting too long. I feel better that they are reef safe at least.

My other guess was baby stomatella, but I figured that was far stretched. I thought I saw a shell there.

Can you catch a few? I might see if I can add them to my nano!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could definitely catch lots if you want any. Just let me know. I live in Manassas/Woodbridge area (about 6 miles from 95 off the Prince William Pkwy) or work in Rosslyn. I also have the asterina stars and a gazillion mini brittle stars. :-)

I could definitely catch lots if you want any. Just let me know. I live in Manassas/Woodbridge area (about 6 miles from 95 off the Prince William Pkwy) or work in Rosslyn. I also have the asterina stars and a gazillion mini brittle stars. :-)

I'm set on the stars, I have the long brittle stars all over! I figure they are in abidance because they are doing some good. Are you going to the meeting? 

I won't be at the meeting but happy to grab some of these for you anytime.

I don't think they look like the Isopods but boy are those creepy.... Ewwww....