Alternative methods to feeding fry

Just something to think about; I'm not breeding at this time.

A little while back I was breeding FW discus. Conventional wisdom says that I MUST feed the newly hatched fry live food; in particular, baby brine shrimp. I decided to try and break the rules and I fed my fry decapsulated brine-shrimp eggs which are more nutricious than newly-hatched BBS soon after they hatch. It tends to stay in the water column a while and then I would vacuum the bottom. I was successful with a few different batches. I still have one of the now adult fish.

Has anyone ever been successful with fry (clowns or other) using non-live food supplemented with naturally occuring live food from a healthy refugium?

Has anyone ever been successful with fry (clowns or other) using non-live food supplemented with naturally occuring live food from a healthy refugium?

Clownfish larvae can only be successfully raised on live rotifers. You will get a few survivors on flakes or frozen rots, but the numbers will be very low.

Larvae tank is best set up without any connection to a refugium or the main tank.

In addition to being nutritious, first foods have to trigger a feeding response in your fry. With clowns, that generally means the food has to move around on it's own.

Jon