Sad Panda

First hello, I love this site. I started in the hobby about 6 months ago with a 55g non-RR tank and overflow box. I built my own stand and sump and things were going great untill I realized this hobby is very calming for me (I have a super high stress job) and I should have spent the extra money on a larger Reef Ready tank. I have had two overflows onto the floor already and want to move up to a RR 120 or larger tank so I have been watching the for sale forum as I found after pricing new tanks they may be a bit more than I can spend at this time.

A question I have is buying used, have many people had trouble getting "bad tanks" meaning that they get them home and find they have a leak etc?

Thank you for this site Iam sure I will be pestering you all for a long time to come.

Ed.

While any purchase should be made with some caution and risk, I am usually very comfortable with what I buy from WAMAS members. Unlike CraigsList, where you don't even get a persons real email address, there is some accountability here. While I am not encouraging a public bashing of member transactions, the possibility of this tends to keep people on check,. Also, if you keep an eye out for who has been around a while vs. new people who start off selling stuff, you can get a sense of what you may be getting into.

In short, WAMAS is able to provide the small town experience in what would otherwise be the big scary city of the Internet.

While any purchase should be made with some caution and risk, I am usually very comfortable with what I buy from WAMAS members. Unlike CraigsList, where you don't even get a persons real email address, there is some accountability here. While I am not encouraging a public bashing of member transactions, the possibility of this tends to keep people on check,. Also, if you keep an eye out for who has been around a while vs. new people who start off selling stuff, you can get a sense of what you may be getting into.

In short, WAMAS is able to provide the small town experience in what would otherwise be the big scary city of the Internet.

+1 on what DaveS said.

Welcome to WAMAS.  Here is what would be an awesome upgrade http://wamas.org/forums/topic/76305-240g-system-part-out/page-1 

Great answer. Thanks, Dave.

DBL, I looked at that setup just not sure I can house a 75g sump. I do not have the option to plumb to the basement from where the tank will set. AND that size tank seems a tad overwhelming. Also I would need to buy A LOT of new equipment (probably all) for that size. I would like to try to reuse as much of my current gear as possible. But other than those things I would probably buy that set up in a heart beat.

WOW- Thanks to AWSOME members I will pick up my new (used) 180g RR this weekend. I am going to start a new thread on some equipment questions I have soon. This is the best club/society I have ever joined as far as helpful people.

WOW- Thanks to AWSOME members I will pick up my new (used) 180g RR this weekend. I am going to start a new thread on some equipment questions I have soon. This is the best club/society I have ever joined as far as helpful people.

:clap: Great outcome! 

• 7 years later...