Advice on larger tank?

rain

Hello! I'm starting to consider getting a larger tank. I have a 29 Biocube and love it. But I would really like to have triggerfish and tangs and then some other complementary fish. Questions: what is the minimum size tank would I need to go to? Would it be best as a FOWLR? I enjoy LPS a lot in my Biocube. I also enjoy the AIO aspect of the Biocube. Any thoughts on the larger IM or Red Sea AIOs? This is nothing I'm rushing into, just starting the research and tank size will help me focus on moving forward (and so I can watch for great deals here on WAMAS). Thanks!

I think I'll have to rearrange no matter what although 4 ft is definitely an easier fit. I figured it would need to be pretty big though. I may need some help figuring out what spots in my house can handle the load. I'd like to keep it on my main level for better viewing/maintenance. Basement has plenty of room but I feel like I wouldn't see it all the time like my Biocube which is in the center of the house between the kitchen and living room. Thanks!!

I think if you want triggers a FOWLR is going to be the way to go. If you can swing it, I'd go 180; a lot of the larger tangs (and other fish) need the extra swimming length. On that note, you might want to check out this thread: 6x2x2-glass-tank-and-stand.

That's two votes for the 180, thanks for chiming in! That is a great deal on that one you linked. I'm not sure I'm ready to buy quite yet. Have to figure out the wall space first. We have a lot of windows and not as much plain wall space.

Also what are thoughts on the tank backing to windows? I could close the blinds behind it or leave them open for natural light. Bad? Good? I was thinking the side of our sun room/playroom might work. All windows though on three sides.

I've had triggers/have triggers in a 150g... Probably the smallest I would go if you don't want to have to upgrade again (though mine is only 5 ft wide)

I will be going back to a fowlr when I move because frankly corals are a pain,lol

Zoas and some lps maybe but then gotta get the triggers that won't eat them (Niger and blue jaw have been good ones to not eat an of my corals)

Very nice tank!! I can see how it would be nice to not have to worry about all the crazy lights. I do like the Picasso trigger a lot. They seem to have so much character.

I loved my 125. You are welcome to come see it before I transfer livestock and take down. 6feet x only 18 wide and 22arm length. I loved this for several reasons. It only takes up 18" of your room. Push that sucker all the way up against the wall and put one MP 40 throwing water on each side. 22" lets my arms reach to the bottom. 6 foot tank will allow you to keep a tang

Edited by gmerek2

I vote 180 . I would love to see you do a 180 reef instead. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

My favorite tank is the 180; I keep kicking myself for selling mine. Tons of room for aquascaping AND enough length for tangs and other large fish to race. 

You could probably paint the back of the tank if you wanted to put it in front of windows. Would help keep algae growth down. 

Thanks Brian! Not sure I'll make it out your way anytime soon but I appreciate the offer.

Haywood - a 180 reef would be awesome! I do love my corals. :-)

Marisa - good idea on painting the back against the windows. The spot I have in mind would be in the kids playroom/sunroom. Plus we have an open view to it through an open bar from our kitchen sink. Excellent viewing potential!

All - how do I go about figuring out if a certain spot in the house could handle the weight of a 180 or 120?

On the weight issue it depends where the support beams are, and which way they are running, under the floor (assuming it's not a slab floor). I put a house jacks (from home depot) under each corner of my 180.  I"m jealous - setting up a new tank is always exciting.

Hmm I think it's right over a bedroom in the basement. Not sure the house jacks would look so hot in the spare bedroom...lol...

And David, yes it's exciting but scary too! Big jump from my little biocube. That's why I don't want to rush it.

Hi Marisa,

I'm not a DIYer either...lol. I wish I was!!! I do have a friend who builds houses, so I might have him come take a look. Talked it over with my hubby and we are both in agreement that the spot in the sunroom is good! it's right up against the edge of the house and he thinks it should be pretty strong there since it's not in the middle of the house. But I'd rather confirm with an expert first. :-)

180's are definitely I think the best entry level big tank imho. Great room for aquascaping, not terrible for lighting, they just flat out work. Honestly the only reason I'm going with the 280 is since it's 2 sided viewable I kinda want a '180' on each side

It seems like I might as well go with the 180 if I'm considering the 125. Still need to confirm weight load on the spot I've got in mind. I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger immediately but at least now I know what to start looking into more. I like to research and be prepared before jumping in on a new project. Definitely a fun prospect and I appreciate all those who chimed in!!