Need to Qt ORA or tank bred?

dmatt56

I think it's a matter of trust in the vendor and risk tolerance. On the one hand, the fish "should" be healthy and disease free, and so quarantine "should" be unnecessary. On the other hand, it only takes one sick fish (and not necessarily symptomatic) to cause major damage. I don't know that there's a single "right" answer in all cases. 

I'm not going to trash ORA because I want to support them and anyone else who grows tank bred fish.  But I picked up some ORA fish at MACNA and the bag that had three fish also had an aiptasia floating in it.  If they had aiptasia in their MACNA display that could get into a fish bag, can you imagine what else is in their system?

Again, I like ORA.  But good management practices wax and wane with every company.  I vote that you should QT.

yes, you should. qt is not just for prophylaxis/treatment. qt is a great way to ensure the fish is in tip top shape free from competition and other stressors in a reef tank. the chain of custody for fish can be brutal and taking some simple steps like a qt prior to addition to the reef is just one more small diligent step towards a successful experience.