GASP!  Another bulb replacement question...

OUsnakebyte

Okay, it's time to replace the old MH bulbs, and I am considering a switch.  First, the setup:

75 Gallon w/ 2 x 150 DE HQI - magnetic ballast  (currently @ 10,000K)

2 x 4' VHO (currently @ 50/50)

Now, I am thinking of switching the MH's to 20,000K, since it seems that color temp will bring out the best colors in my sps (at least, from what I've read...).  So, if I did that, I don't think I'd want my VHO's to be actinic or even 50/50 - I think it would be too blue.  Should I get new VHOs at 10,000K or would 50/50 be a good idea?  This seems a bit backwards from what most others do...

Next question is in regards to acclimation.  I know since they are new bulbs, they will be a bit stronger, and thus I need to acclimate my current livestock to them, but is there any issue in switching from 10,000K to 20,000K since they have been growing under the whiter bulbs...?

Finally the last is on bulb brand suggestion.  I was looking on hellolights for some bulbs.  I have NO idea here.  Ushio and XDE are the only ones I see in 20,000K  - any comments are appreciated!

Thanks all!!!

Cheers

Mike

Guest greatwit

mike-

If you switch from 10 to 20k your gonna lose a ton of par output from your bulbs. You could try a different brand of 10k like aqualine(supposed to be more like 13k) and go all actinic instead of 50/50 with your vho.

But thats just my 2 cents.

...If you switch from 10 to 20k your gonna lose a ton of par output from your bulbs.....

That's a good point - I have a few clams on the sand that sure appreciate that bright light from the 10s.  What if I did go with something like a 14,000K?  Is there even a 14K 150 HQI?  Or are those just in single ended bulbs?

Personally I would go with a 10K (maybe XM for the par) and switch to 2 full actinic VHO's for your blue.

IMO, switching to 20K's is like cutting your wattage/intensity in half.

Just as an aside, is there anything you can do with old MH bulbs, i mean is there anyone that can use them, it seems a bit of a waste to throw out bulbs that work perfectly well, but have just lost there intensity,

if anybody wants my 400w 12k's for a frag tank let me know :D

Anton

Where does one find these rumored XM bulbs?  I didn't find any on Hellolights.

Thanks for all the replies!

Cheers

Mike

I am beginning to think along the lines of

The Featured Aquarium in the following article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/aquarium.htm

ie. pair up the 6500K saki and the XM20K

Even at 250W, that will be a whopping 1Kw if all lamps are On simultaneously.

Perhaps alternating might help cut down on the heating issues.

Well, if anyone still has a pulled out 10K 250W that i can borrow for a day or

so, that would help decide on the looks of the 10K.

The choice of lighting is just getting too complicated

-krish :D

Guest Wombat

For those interested in some of the science behind light wavelength, zooxanthellae photosynthesis and coral pigmentation have a look at the following article from a couple of years ago by Tyree. This should confuse people's light choices even more! It gives a good summary of the photosynthetic pigments in zooxanthellae and the light they respond to best. There is also discussion of coral pigments that fluoresce different colors depending on the wavelength of light they first absorb. Tyree then gives recommendations for different categories of bulbs to be used for best zooxanthellae growth and coral pigmentation.

Simon

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/s_tyree_060202.html

Wow!  Thanks for all the help!

Thanks Xeon - I saw those exact bulbs but didn't know the logo.  I wasn't sure if XDE = XM.  Thanks!

I'm going to read both articles as soon as I have the time.  I'm sure I will come back with even more questions...  :)

Cheers

Mike

Okay, I already have a question...

What is the rational for the substantial price differences in the different brands of bulbs with the same wattage, color temp, etc.?  I am referring to the link to Hellolights Xeon posted above...  It's not simply 'name brand' vs generic is it...???