***Xenia HELP PLEASE!!!!

Lune2Moon2

Greetings and hope everyone had a good thanks giving holiday.

I have been having problems with Xenia growth ever since I can remember. I have gotten them down to a low number in the tank. However, they aren't completely gone. I want them completely gone.

My nitrates nitrites are 0ppm, PO4 0.2 ppm, pH around 8.0.. Basically all parameters are where they should be. I have an SPS dominate tank with a few LPS.

I have tried Kalk past, removal of rock/butane lighter, removal of rock/very hot water/ tooth brush, razor blade, lowering overall tank nutrients,

No matter what I do they keep coming slowly but surely!

I'm looking for a natural way to get rid of them. Shrimp, nudi, fish?? Anyone with any experience with a natural sure fire way to get rid of them?

Please help!!

The only way I have ever found is to throw it in the trash. Break it off the rocks and throw those rocks out.

Some people can't keep it alive where it thrives in other peoples tanks.

That sucks as it is growing on the base of some corals! And the rocks they are encrusted on! Thanks for the reply!

I had a flame angel that would eat it, also had a kleins butterfly that ate it. The Kleins also ate other coral. :sad:  :sad:

If you decide to remove it manually, use a piece of gauze between your fingers to get a good grip.  Then peel it off the rock without tearing the xenia in half.  I can usually get the whole piece off that way, with almost no remnants left behind.

I'm thinking of using a combination of both techniques. This is great. With the flame Angel I'm guessing it is determined by an individual taste.

I would have never thought of gauze! I will try for sure.

This might be another method. Thanks Ron. My tank isn't that big so I'm sure there would be fluctuations of pH from the Kalk! I read online Simeon used a turkey baster with boiling hot water and slowly dispensed it over the Xenia. I might try this as long as they aren't very close to any SPS.

If you cant remove the rock and corals to chip away the good stuff you want and sun dry the stuff you don't want. then you could try to cut with a razor knife at the base and use a hose to suck out all the cuts,then apply super clue to the stalks or epoxy putty so they will not grow back.

Just feel the urge to chime in and say that this is such a first world problem thread... I have been trying to grow Xenia but with no luck at all.  Please feel free to send them my way!

I too have tried for years to grow xenia to no avail. They grow for a few weeks, then slowly disappear. Why is it that they grow for some and others don't?