Problem with Herbie Method/Pump

AUFishGuy

So I'm running the Herbie method on my 90 gallon reef ready. I'm using an eheim 3000+ compact return pump. About 2 weeks ago I come home and the overflow is half empty, we'll below the E drain. So I closed the gate valve more to bring it back up. We'll I come home today and same issue, the water is a few inches below the E drain.

So the only thing that could be causing this is that the return pump is decreasing it's output, correct? The pump is only a month and a half old and I thought eheim werected supposed to be quality pumps.

Could anything else be the issue?

How much did u turn the gate valve. Using this method it's very very tiny turns of the valve. I have been running it for years with no issues

Very little just enough to get the water level back up to the E drain plus a slow flow into it. Even still I'm closing it so the water in the overflow shouldn't be getting lower over the course of a couple weeks

Likely the return pump is slowing a bit.  Probably from a bit of crud buildup in the nozzle, pipes, or on the impeller or shaft.  I'd guess it would even out eventually.  

Maybe there were snails in the plumbing and when they got out, the water went up. Are there snails in the sump that you didn't purposefully place there?

Edited by treesprite

I'd also guess that the return pump is slowing down.  Any chance your water levels drop when this happens?  IF you don't have a constant water level in the return chamber, the head pressure can vary, which affects the flow the pump can put out, which affects the water level of your overflow.

I'd also guess that the return pump is slowing down.  Any chance your water levels drop when this happens?  IF you don't have a constant water level in the return chamber, the head pressure can vary, which affects the flow the pump can put out, which affects the water level of your overflow.

This shouldnt be the issue as i have an ato that keeps the level pretty stable. I realized that i did have an issue with my filter sock that let a bit of debris into the sump. I am going to take the pump oout and clean it, hopefully it jsut has some crud in it that is slowing it down. If not this will be the 3rd Eheim i have had a problem with in the last year