Are Chocolate chip star fish reef safe?

John-Solo

So I was at the LFS and wanted to get a star fish for my tank. I have a 29 gal nano cube, the gentleman at the store recommend the Chocolate ship star fish because it will be a good size for the tank and it will not harm my other tank mates. now Iv been reading some things online that they are not reef safe? I really don't want to loose what I've been working on with my corals. What are you guys thoughts and experiences on this? If they are definitely not reef safe... any one looking for a Star fish? 

I've read in a few places that they are not reef safe.  Will munch of softies.  Once i put corals in my tank, the starfish moved to the sump.

Not a good choice at all - and find a new lfs. A serpent star is great. Not quite the same but reef safe and you can easily provide enough food for it.

Remember that "reef safe" means it doesn't bother corals, not that it isn't a predator.

I would take the star, but full disclosure I'm going to feed it to my harlequin shrimp.

I was just about to type the same thing....

In my tank the chocolate chip star is reef safe. In fact there would be a dance party if I put the star in. It's typical on my reef. They dance around dinner time...

you will want a fromia starfish if you want coral.  they are the most reef safe of the starfish and fairly easy to take care of.  linkias are reef safe as well but much harder to keep fed in a tank that size.

I got in touch with the LFS, they apologized for the confusion and are taking the CC star fish back. In hindsight I might not have been specific that I had a reef tank. No damage to anything in my tank so it's all good. I really would like a star fish so Iv been looking into the Fromia. Thanks again for the awesome help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk