Particles Constantly in Water Column

AUFishGuy

I have a 90 gallon and am running the herbie method that has been up and running for about 5 months.

I constantly see small particles, looks like sand but all of my power heads are aimed upward away from the bottom of the tank. They are not all uniform in size and are definitely not air bubbles. i believe it is the very small sand particles as i started this tank with new "live sand but this has been going on for weeks, I assumed the filter sock would take care of the problem but it hasn't. I am not sure if that is due to the sock itself or if these particles aren't making it into the overflow or what. I think the issue is that they are not making it into the overflow as the current in my tank is very random.

Could i just put some filter floss in a filter sock and leave it in the DT for a couple of days?

Any other ideas on how to fix this issue?

Have you tried running the skimmer a litter wetter?

No but i will try that. When watching the tank it really looks as if its not getting into the overflow, or the majority anyway

You could implement a mechanical filter, such as a filter sock to polish the water.  Do you have a thin film on the top of the water surface that does not get skimmed?  Is the system turnover (tank to sump) at least 400 gph?

You could implement a mechanical filter, such as a filter sock to polish the water.  Do you have a thin film on the top of the water surface that does not get skimmed?  Is the system turnover (tank to sump) at least 400 gph?

I have a filter sock where water enters the sump. I believe it is right around the 400 gph mark. I have a compact+ 3000 as my return so i have had to dial the siphon down a bit. I dont really want to go with a bigger pump as i am already having a hard time directing the flow from the return. It is so strong it is either moving sand around or blowing my softies and lps pretty hard in one direction.

I have a filter sock where water enters the sump. I believe it is right around the 400 gph mark. I have a compact+ 3000 as my return so i have had to dial the siphon down a bit. I dont really want to go with a bigger pump as i am already having a hard time directing the flow from the return. It is so strong it is either moving sand around or blowing my softies and lps pretty hard in one direction.

I just ordered some 100 micron filter socks, the ones i have now are 200 i believe

Ozone is a gas that oxidizes what ever is in the water. Makes the water crystal clear. you need to put the water through carbon after it mixes with the ozone as it is toxic. Some people hook up a ozone generator to the air inlet of the skimmer.

See if those are microscopic pods which you think are particles.

Stop the flow and watch if these particles are moving by themselves in random directions on their own rather than going with the water flow.

If its pods those are good for you and you dont need to worry about it (except that you are not ecstatically happy that its not crystal clear)

Edited by WishNewFish

See if those are microscopic pods which you think are particles.

Stop the flow and watch if these particles are moving by themselves in random directions on their own rather than going with the water flow.

If its pods those are good for you and you dont need to worry about it (except that you are not ecstatically happy that its not crystal clear)

I wish. Definitely not pods. They weye overly abundant in my last tank but I lost a vast majority of them during the move to this tank. About to make a large purchase of them.