How long to cook rocks?

Reefer_Madness

I am "cooking" some marco rocks in a Brute with a powerhead and some GFO in a media bag.  How long do you think I should cook them for, before the phosphates are basically gone?

Do you have some background on this?  What type of rocks?  Why do you think they have phosphates?

Following

EDIT: Woops, just saw they're marco rocks.

If they're new, dry rocks, then they'll have next to no phosphates.  You could do an experiment and test though, would be interested to see if you get anything different that.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Just edited the post above, but are you sure the phosphates weren't from something else (over feeding, etc)?

I've used about two tons of marco rocks in dozens of tanks, and never had a problem with phosphates leaching.  

My theory as to why people think they leach phosphates is that they actually absorb phosphates very well and then leach them back out once you have the problem under control.  If you always keep your tank well maintained with no extra added phosphates, you will never have a problem.

We had a client WAY overfeed their tank (1-2 packs of rods food a week) for 8-10 months before we convinced them that the fish really weren't that hungry and the hair algae and phosphates weren't going to go away until they cut back.  After the feeding was under control we continued doing all the right things (water changes, gfo, etc etc etc), and testable phosphates went away (it took a long time, 3-4 months- due to the leaching). After this point, there was still hair algae all over the rocks that we would scrub and siphon ever visit, but it always came back.  We changed about half the rock to find that the new marco rocks never grew hair algae, while the old ones continued growing it for another few months.  This was because (again, my opinion/theory) the old rocks were continuing to leach trace amounts of phosphates directly the the hair algae growing all over them, while the new rocks never had the opportunity to absorb phosphates.

Like I said above, would be interested to see results of your tests on fresh marco rocks, and this is my theory (so would be happy to be proven wrong), but I don't think you will find any phosphates.  You just have to be careful to keep your tank healthy and not let phosphates come up for too long of a time.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

I used RODI on Tonga branch, Fiji, and Pukani rock from BRS.

If you have or borrow the Hanna Phosphate ppm meter you can measure the decrease.  The ppm phosphate meter works with freshwater; whereas the ppb ulra low range meter will not.  If you would like to borrow the ppm meter I could lend it to you; however, I am not in DC.  Glenn Dale, MD.  

Good Luck!

I used RODI too on my BRS pukani rock...but initially soaked them twice over night in vinegar...which basically got rid of all the dead tissue in it...later cycled them in a brute trash can for over 2 months with a heater and two power heads. I think I changed water twice in these two months...first time was bad...as the power heads cleaned remaining organic material off the rock...every time I changed the rock I ghost fed the can with few pieces of raw shrimp to initiate the cycle. After 2 months, the rock was all clean and ready for the tank. 

I would use lanthanum chloride to do this, it will take the phosphate out of the water in a flocculant. Just drain the water containing the flocculant and repeat.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I used RODI too on my BRS pukani rock...but initially soaked them twice over night in vinegar...which basically got rid of all the dead tissue in it...later cycled them in a brute trash can for over 2 months with a heater and two power heads. I think I changed water twice in these two months...first time was bad...as the power heads cleaned remaining organic material off the rock...every time I changed the rock I ghost fed the can with few pieces of raw shrimp to initiate the cycle. After 2 months, the rock was all clean and ready for the tank.

This is what I have been doing, but I have GFO in my scenario.

I have been doing a water change a week like Seth suggested above.

Edited by Reefer_Madness

I used RODI on Tonga branch, Fiji, and Pukani rock from BRS.

If you have or borrow the Hanna Phosphate ppm meter you can measure the decrease. The ppm phosphate meter works with freshwater; whereas the ppb ulra low range meter will not. If you would like to borrow the ppm meter I could lend it to you; however, I am not in DC. Glenn Dale, MD.

Good Luck!

Been testing. Crazy swings in phosphates!! Once the get down below 5 or 10 I'll be putting them in the tank.

I plan on using bleech and regular water when I do mine.  Ill rinse in RODI.  Iam also not planning on using the rock in the near future.