What else to put in my refugium/sump

madmax7774

I have 30 gallon glass tank that's half full which acts as a sump, and now will also be my refugium. I have a thin layer of superfine sand (more like silt really), and I bought some fiji Mud. I also added some calerpa peices to start that growing, and I have added 24 hour lights to fuge area. I added a 15" 14W aquarium light that is 14,000K, and a $1.39 spotlight from home depot that's 65W and a bit too yellow for my tastes, I will be searching for a more white one , but it works for now. As far as critters, I have tons of copepods and amphipods in both the main and sump, and I was wondering what else to add in the sump. I think I have it mostly covered, but What does everyone else think? I was depbating on adding maybe a rock or two for things to grow out of.

thoughts?

John

my fuge has hermits, snails, brittle star that got too big in the main tank, Live rock, rubble, xenia, some zoos, Mushrooms, Mangroves, some sand and a bunch of cheato. Many copods, amphipods, brine shrimp and bristle worms.

I got snails, sand, cheato, mud, water fleas, and spade algae that house coperpods, amphipods, ghost shrimps, mysis shrimps, and baby brittle starfish, plus some bacterias and phytoplankton. geesz! there is so much miniature live in there than sometimes is hard to see what else is in there.

Guest Edwardj

I'd be careful with the caluerpa - if it "goes sexual" it will release all the nutrients it has been absorbing. I prefer chaeto. I have read not to have both - I have also heard the more the merrier. Be sure to harvest it - pluck a clump off periodically and through it away. This "nutrient exporting" will encourage more growth of whichever type you have.

in case some of you all are unsure what a sea bunny looks like you can see one here

Good one Steve - and to think, I was going to ask Larry about going in on a group order :-)