Sun's DB30g Shallow Rimless

SunWyrm

Long winded update ahead.

Work pico has been broken down. I moved desks and due to some construction right above my old desk, the fish died on moving day. Going to bring my 8g Evolve to work, and my "retired" blue devil female. She'll love all the attention.

As far as 30g news, my McCosker's also died. He was eating and active until he was gone, but just kept getting skinnier and not competing for food. I was trying to feed 2-3x a day, and everyone else would overeat, but he would take only a few bites and be done. 

I'm replacing him with a sixline and not getting another flasher until I (and the tank) can keep up with feeding them 2x a day. sad.png The biggest downside to this is the flasher wrasse REALLY got along with everyone, and kept the chalk bass more active and out in the open. I'm not sure if a sixline will have the same effect. McCosker's definitely cared more about being social than picking around the rocks.

Now all the inhabitants are obese and the nitrates have spiked since I skipped last weeks water change (and have been overfeeding 2-3 times a day). Did a water change this weekend, and I'm planning on deep cleaning everything over the long Christmas and New Years weekends. Plans include giving the pumps, powerheads, and skimmer a vinegar bath, changing media, and vacuuming all the debris out of the overflow and calmer areas of the sump. Maybe doing a 10g water change also, since I want to redo my mangrove/fuge area in order to get my damsel out.

Oh and I moved the blennies' loveshack, so they've since separated again. He's in the old location (I moved it back, with no luck) but she's in her old cave with all the zoas. Sigh. 

Here's some pictures from a couple weeks ago, I'll probably take more pics next weekend after the deep clean.

98C7m5u.png
k5bvQUl.png
dyCuyUK.png
MsiCyZG.png
5QiKp0k.png
SXeuER3.png
EtUtUhF.png
0Wa4STk.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! 

All of the aiptasia is driving me nuts. Kalk paste, aiptasia x... the same nems just come back after a couple days. I can't add peppermint shrimp without my cleaners going into attack mode.

Speaking of cleaner shrimp, I added the one I kept in my 3g pico over Christmas. Big difference in the color! The original cleaner is a deep yellow, and the one kept in the pico is very pale. They've had the same diet, so it'll be interesting to see if the new one colors up after a molt or two. 

New itty bitty sixline is doing well too, just staying out of everyone's way and picking at everything. 

Lots of pics ahead. Didn't get anything done except for a water change and wiping the glass, but long, lazy weekends are too good to pass up. 

Front FTS
4k9V1ms.png
NZeZY0T.png

Side FTS
42Nec06.png
WyXPRfu.png

Back 
usJO4mC.png

More pics!!!

oQ8NkaA.png
apZqJS8.png

My favorite part of the tank:

HHglVm5.png
YzSkdE7.png
KV3EmK4.png

I think these two love the algae clip more than the tang.

cIAamyH.png

And it didn't take too long for these two to pair up again.

mmNqzNP.png

(the female)
QjLkpbO.png

New heads on each of my acans.
coy7kRM.png

Green monti and red cap both lost some color a couple weeks ago, still waiting on them to come back, plus a few others.

5viVMvB.png

Very happy hawkins echinata, not so happy lokani behind it. 

kaYTBgi.png
50Abczf.png
Tw1aRp4.png

Corner shots!
NbKsO7w.png
VQdZUX6.png
g5zlFqh.png
M0cOKjd.png
OYn7FRC.png

I can never get a good pic of the CB, way too dark, but for once she was still enough.
PLI4S1o.png

RBTA being well behaved for once, clowns, not so much.
wjpoEhr.png
eZWPxhn.png

Fat and happy tang, still healing.
88sLA82.png
VqIPjq4.png
YniadWS.png

Everything is looking good. Do you have a long term plan for some of those nicer zoanthids that are probably going to get choked out by the invasive common palys?

Everything is looking good. Do you have a long term plan for some of those nicer zoanthids that are probably going to get choked out by the invasive common palys?

No TBH, I've already taken off some of the original frags to make a little room, but I also ran into an issue recently with several colonies just closing up. Most came back, but my kiwis and pink zoas haven't come back at all and are still closed up tight. 

I put a frag plug behind my arctic ice palys to keep them away from the purple slimer. Hopefully once they grow onto it, I can take it out, replace it and just keep repeating for easy frags. 

Those pink and golds tho...  :wacko: I've also got to cut back the encrusting gorg. It's running rampant on my sps rock and encroaching on my acans.

Thank you. I'm considering getting one of these and the only thing I hate about a rimless is the water level is usually so high that it splashes water everywhere when I'm cleaning the glass.

Just slow your roll Cliff!!!

Just slow your roll Cliff!!!

:laugh: 

I cleaned my glass last night and always manage to dribble a bit on the outside. I've found that I can't use a magnet near the top or it really splashes, so I just take a credit card to the glass once a week while my water change is going. It's so shallow that it doesn't take me more than 5 mins. 

• 5 weeks later...

Stunning tank.

Quick ? Did you lower the water level in the display or is that stock?

Deep Blue overflows are notorious for their low water lines with their reef ready tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there any way to fix it? Could I put some epoxy putty in between the holes on the overflow? ... or something? If I could just get another inch I'd be insanely happy and I think it'd make a huge difference. 

Is there any way to fix it? Could I put some epoxy putty in between the holes on the overflow? ... or something? If I could just get another inch I'd be insanely happy and I think it'd make a huge difference.

I guess that would work. Or you could epoxy a sheet of acrylic leveled across the weirs inside the overflow. I'm not a fan of any overflow on reef ready tanks, the real estate wasted is a huge turn off. You would just have to wait for everything to dry, and probably have to give it a really good cleaning in order to make sure it was effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 on the overflow. If anything gets back there it's lost forever. Still have a green banded goby just chillin' back there...

Sheet of acrylic is a much better idea, and I have a ton laying around. I'll see what I can rig up this weekend. 

• 2 months later...

Nice. What size is your sheet of acrylic? I need some for my overflow.

Lol I never got around to it. Maybe someday :rolleyes:  I just have a bunch of scrap pieces from Lowes lying around, pretty thin and bendable. 

(edited)

Haha very true! Too many other things on the to-do list. I haven't even kept up with the thread at all! Well here's this as a peace offering:

Happy first tank birthday from the clowns!

UeN1CfD.png

Edited by SunWyrm

Update time!
I did it!!!   :biggrin: FINALLY got out the second rbta. I was just planning to do a big overhaul and take them both out this weekend, but noticed the foot of one had moved between two rocks, so I was able to get it out easily and put it in a basket in the sump, only to have it split again down there. Glad I was able to get it out and not have to deal with three nems in the display, one is more than enough. Although I'm still planning on doing some major overhauls in and around the tank this weekend. The RBTAs taking over was really frustrating on several levels, maybe now I can take out some of the cramped, extra rockwork and try to keep some sps where they won't get stung... :dry:

I'll post pics more later, but here's a big, adorable photo dump of the pygmy hawks. 

9tSSew0.png
CBYR5AQ.png
73oK2so.png
y5yeuLg.png
52VhOuz.png
aCqcKoh.png
zn8ihyu.png
OZx8uXr.png

• 2 months later...

Been neglecting the tank for a little while...Need to get going on a big water change and some other things on the tank to-do list.

But chief among my distractions from the tank; Conan got a new little sister, Valeria!

kdjPpwH.png

• 2 months later...

No recent pics of the 30, aside from my GPH being a total ham:

r2PnTKC.png
rdlIUTf.png

The 8g at work is a little over-stuffed:

dUIrphy.png

Val helping with a new hobby:

GSihPMw.png