MH bulb ?

Have you looked into the 14k Phoenix? I'm running one on an icecap supplemented with LEDs and love the color.

I'm switching over to t5's this week so If you want to come by and see it or even try it over your tank let me know.

That's too bad I had no idea they were discontinued. I guess it's a good thing I'm switching to t5.

Single end bulbs with M80 ballast.

+1 m80s are the best. Do a. single ended with a nice small reflector if its a small tank. I would use radiums but that's just me. Most bulbs will give decent results, some are just better in certain areas of coral color or growth. Plus the lenght of time they take to diminish in par. Borrow some bulbs from folks. I have some 14k ushios you can have, I think.

The only ushios I have used are the 10 and 14 so in imagine their 20 would be pretty white, never seen one. I am not big on double ended bulbs unless it's a space issue where your packing a lot of supplements around them.

Phoenix bulbs are back.  There was an uproar about them disappearing and Hexarc decided to bring them back.   They are currently available from premium aquatics.  

As for halide preferences, here are my prefered bulbs:

400SE:  20k Radiums

250w SE   20k Radiums

250w DE 14k Phoenix

150w DE  14k phoenix or 20k radiums

Phoenix bulbs are back.  There was an uproar about them disappearing and Hexarc decided to bring them back.   They are currently available from premium aquatics.  

As for halide preferences, here are my prefered bulbs:

400SE:  20k Radiums

250w SE   20k Radiums

250w DE 14k Phoenix

150w DE  14k phoenix or 20k radiums

I forgot to add a few other of my favorites I have used over the years.  

400w 14k Ushios for a marine planted tank was awesome!

Pic for reference: IMG_20141125_160120_zpsdhudjrb6.jpg

(edited)

If this is the light I traded you it's an M81 ballast.  150w bulbs.

http://hamiltontechnology.com/item/Metal-Halide-150-Watt-HQI-Assembled-Ballast-371

Best to run an HQI 150w like the 14k Phoenix. 

Edit- The ballast is not checked M81 on the enclosure, but it is an M81.  It's marked on the inside.  Hamilton just used that enclosure, which is the same. 

The bulb I gave you with the light is a 150w Phoenix.  It has lots of life left.  I only ran it for a couple months about 5.5 hours a day.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Last night I pulled out the box and fired her up. Thanks for confirming that it's a Phoenix 14k. I went threw your old thread trying to find it. 20k would be more blue right? I'm used to LEDs and I personally like the led look better. My sps looked meh except for this guy.

6B84FDB0-CE75-41F3-9FFD-9D7EE15C84F3_zps

Looks awesome under mh

(edited)

I never ran the 20k 150w radium, but I have heard the 14k phoenix is actually more blue than the 20k radium.  I am speaking specifically on the 150w versions of these two bulbs.

The MH look will be a lot different than LED.  When people with LED say 20k it is always way more blue than a 20k MH. 

If you have not run MH before the other thing to note is you can't turn the bulb on and off and on and off repeatedly.  It needs to cool before being "re-fired."

Edited by BowieReefer84