3 week vacation

Kevnjeep

So I am going on vacation for 3 weeks. 2 weeks in oc MD than directly to the airport for Mexico. Any tips to keep things in check? I'm having someone feed and replace the ato water. Anything simple he can do to keep things in check? He is not familiar with reef tanks. Any info would be appreciated.

Tank spec

120 gallon rr

Mixed reef

Skimmer

Biopellet

Carbon

Kalk stirrer to ato

Led lights programmable

Mp40 x 2

Heater

Apex

I would strongly suggest setting up a webcam if you haven't already. Best case would be 1 camera pointed at the tank and the other at the sump/equipment.

Might want to also hide a key to your house someplace in case you need to call in someone more experienced (either someone who maintains tanks for a living or one us here on WAMAS).

If I were going on vacation for 3 weeks I would have someone who maintains tanks for a living take care of my tank, just too much that could go wrong.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your trip!!!

Your most important thing is the ATO. If you have it full proof, then you will be ok. Make sure the system is stable, restarts perfect in a power loss & no new equipment has been added recently. Do a good water change before you leave.

I've traveled a lot away from my tank and I have a few big suggestions for you:

Perform a dry run before you leave. Do NOT touch the tank for a week and see if your automation & setup is okay without you.

Do not change anything on the final day before you leave

ATO is a must

(edited)

I'm also going out of town for 3 weeks (well, 17 days) in July. I'm a little worried about it. We pay for live in pet sitters for the dogs and cats but the reef stuff is much more complicated if the there are problems.

Edited by Rob A

Good luck. Going just for a weekend is scary enough.  

Luckily I found a reefer to stop by every other day. Thanks for all the advise and cross your fingers for me. Just arrived in ocean city. Shark fishing starts tomorrow!!!

Get a reef buddy, someone who would know what to do if something goes wrong.