Myers71 Nuked the 55G Hit Reset 120G and Stand Build

Ok, so i am a habitual lurker, not big on the social medias.  Figured it was time to contribute to the greater good.  I have learned alot from the members / posts here and on RC and thought i could share my experience (read mistakes) and help others avoid them in the future!

Long story short back story.  I have had a 55g standard for probably 12 years which had african chiclids up until about three years ago when i made the switch to saltwater.  Got sand, some rock from a LFS and a pair of b&w ocellaris (still with me, tough little buggers) and off i went.  I have gone from hang on the back skimming, to variations of sumps in the stand to my current set up which is a plumbed basement sump room (corner of the laundry room actually - i cant get authorization for a whole room ;)  I was very proud of my little sump room set up.  And that is where my problems started.  Started having issues with inverts (snails, crabs, worms) and my couple of attempts to add some hammers.  Nothing stayed alive long.  The corals slowly receeded and died over time. Snails and crabs started lasting a day or two after being added.  But my tank was sparkling clean!  No algae, clean white sand.  Then the cyano started taking over, everywhere.  I was stumped.  Richard at ERC even tried to help (we are neighbors) but no luck.  I eventually ordered up a testing kit from Triton labs.  I suspected copper, but wasn't sure.  Well, i got the results back and it was copper and zinc, here were my results.

Aquarium Analysis Page 2

Aquarium Analysis Page 1

So the lightbulb went off after i got these results.  I know there have been mixed reviews on Triton Labs, but have to say it did what i expected it to and confirmed my suspicions.  I had plumbed a brass gate valve in my return line from the sump room.  #Hasbrown NewbMistake #1. Brass = copper & zinc, and um corrodes in saltwater.  Needless to say was pretty pissed at myself for basically nuking the tank.  I figured my sand and rock were pretty much ruined for a reef tank at this point.

So time to hit the reset button and might as well go bigger, right :)

As i mentioned, my sump room/corner is in place already, so i will continue to use that.  Here are some pics and details.  Sorry for the mess!

IMG 0820

IMG 0819

IMG 0818

I have 3 1" drain lines plumbed from upstairs, in anticipation of installing a Bean Animal.  Was only using one prior to this upgrade.  The sump is a 40g breeder from the $1 gallon sale.  I picked up some glass from the box stores and made the baffles.  First section holds my SC-302 skimmer.  So far i like it, but then again my only comparison is to my previous Coralife Superskimmers.  It sits on a section of 3" pvc to get it to the right height.  I ran the drain line from the skimmer to a 5g homer bucket.  Middle section is my fuge, some additional rock and attempting cheato, my heater and the reactor return.  Last section drains to the 32g brute under the stand which is plumbed to my return Panworld 100px.  It returns upstairs, with a 5 or 6' horizontal run.  The return line branches off back to the sump so i can releive back pressure and also feeds my BRS reactor - just carbon right now.  

Based on how i have it plumbed and through manipulation of ball valves, i can drain both brute cans to the laundry sink.  My RO/DI unit fills the right can, with a float valve to make sure it doesn't overflow.  I can fill the sw brute can from the RO/DI can.  I can then isolate the sw can in order to mix sw and also isolate the sw can and the sump to mix for w/c.  

It has been working pretty well for me.  Its all based on how i have seen others here and on RC set up their sump rooms. Taking a piece here or there.

But enough with what is already there!  On to the upgrades.  

I picked up a Marineland 120g standard.  48x24x24.  I wanted to keep it to the 4' width so as not to overwhelm the kitchen dining room area, ie upset my wife too much!

The stand i am buidling myself, after getting inspiration from a build on RC, by d2mini (amazing stuff).  I am going with a cabiniet stand, built of 3/4" birch ply, glued and nailed.  I learned myself some sketchup to draw up the plan and create the cut list.  That thing is amazing.  Here is the latest version of the design.

120g Cabinet Build V3

I am not gonna do the step by step here.  One i have already built it, except for the top, and two go check out d2mini's build thread, all kinds of detail there.  Here are some pics i took along the way.

Adding trim

DSC04571

IMG 1017

Here is one as it looks today.

DSC04594

I am really happy with how it is coming along.

I do have to say that i really like the way it looks as is, ie without a top on it.  My wife thinks the same.  I like the lines of the tank and the contrast of the black vs white.  That caused me to modify the stand design.   I was going with the same that d2mini did, which was a built in look, where you only see the front glass.  Instead, i modified the design to give it more of the hooded look, so you can see more of the glass.  I kinda have to so that the bottom section of the stand doesn't look silly (there side sections and the back would if i don't add the top).

Anyway, the top will be a separate piece to house the lighting and will be removable if needed.

I got the doors custom made from Rockler.  Seems to be a great site, lots of woodworking stuff, hardware, etc.  The doors only took about two weeks to arrive after ordering.  They came yesterday and i was pleasantly surprised (lead time is typically 3-4 weeks).  Nice quality, solid.  They are painted MDF.  Picked up a forstner bit and some hinges and mounted those suckers yesterday.

Oh, i also had my first experience with acryllic.  Picked up some sheets of 1/4" black acryllic from US Plastic (i am starting to sound like a commercial) that were 12x24 and some weld-on #4.  I have one box made, essentially 4" high by 4" deep by 16" long (used one of the sheets).  My acryllic manufacturing skills are still a work in process, but i think it will be functional, if not pretty.  Here it is installed in the tank.

IMG 1019

IMG 1018

#Hasbrown Newbmistake #2 - If you drill the holes in your overflow box, then use that as a template for drilling your tank on the outside of the tank, the holes will be in reverse order on the inside of the tank when you go to mount it!  So i had to add an extra hole in the overflow.  Still trying to decide whether to make another box or try and plug that hole, or just leave it.  There is a small gap between the box and the glass.

Next step, hopefully today, will be to plumb the drain and return lines and start getting things wet! 

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is listening, here are some more updates.

Got the plumbing done and getting the tank wet.

Water is in.

So far pretty good, only minor leak from one of the bulkheads, like a few drips an hour.  I drained the water down and reinstalled it.  Then added some silicone to seal it on the outside.

I'm paying attention!

I like it! Nice job on the stand! I prefer my tanks more open and airy, easier to work around and behind, etc. That being said, I agree, I like it open.

What are the plans for lighting?

Picked up two Jaebo RW-8's for flow.  

Jaebo RW-8's

So far impressed with the amount of flow they put out.  Having the options for the wavemaker and general flow is nice (coming from basic Koralia's, its an upgrade).  They are a bit noisy when using wave mode, as they ramp up and down.  Not too bad.  The wireless feature is ok.  It allows you to link the two controllers, with one as master and the others as slave, so you can control all from one controller (except in else/random mode).  With only two its not really that much of a time saver, but works none the less.

Guess i haven't listed the other equipment, so here goes:

Marineland 120g Standard 48x24x24

Same 40B sump w/ three sections - drain/skimmer, refugium maybe, drain section

32g Brute as second sump / mixing chamber below the 40B

32g Brute as RO/DI storage and source for JBJ Auto Top Off

Panworld 100Px return pump

Ehiem Jagger 300w heater

BRS Single Reactor plumbed off return line - running carbon

SC Aquariums SC-302 skimmer

Jaebo RW-8 (2) wavemakers

DIY cabinet stand

I'm paying attention!

I like it! Nice job on the stand! I prefer my tanks more open and airy, easier to work around and behind, etc. That being said, I agree, I like it open.

What are the plans for lighting?

Thanks, glad to know someone is listening!

I have two Chinese 120w leds - one Taotronic the other is a Taotronic knock off!  Had them on my 55g before upgrading.  They are definately bright.  

Now for some fun stuff.  Picked up part one of the Package from TBS yesterday!!!!

The "Package" Part I

Open me first.

Open me second

So far (and its early) the experience has been great.  Richard, as everyone has said, is great to work with.  I ordered it on Wed and asked for Sun delivery.  Richard sent me shipping info Sun morning, put it on a SW flight and i picked it up at BWI early afternoon.  Super easy btw.  Had it home by 4p.  Amazing what you can do nowadays!  Rock and sand from the Gulf shipped to MD and in my tank same day!

Cool.  I had wanted to start mine with TBS rock and sand, but was too nervous to pull the trigger on it.  I'm really interested to see what comes out of it.

I was like a kid at Christmas.  I went with the 90g package, just seems like a lot of rock in the full 120g (180lbs).  I know its supposed to be dense, and some of it definately is, but i don't want things too crowded.  I was thinking a twin peaks / valley kinda setup, with swimming room in the middle. I am picturing a majestic in there when all is said and done.

Back to the unpacking, got a few extras off the bat.

Serpent star in the tank

Urchin climbing the glass

Came with the sand, along with a number of snails, one other orange star, what looks like a few other small urchins (2 so far), sponges, tiny crabs like eraser size, barnacles, bivalves, lions, tigers and bears.  Too much to list.  Really cool what real true "live" rock is.  Water is clearing up pretty good, once it does i will get some more close up picks.

Rock in and waiting to clear

Put the top section of the stand on (it is designed to be removable if needed) so i could add the lighting.  Still needs trim work, doors and paint.  

Top of stand in place - needs paint

Alan, yeah, i have been reading up a lot on TBS.  D2mini's threads on RC were pretty inspiring.  I really got sold on the idea of truly taking a slice of the ocean and putting it in my tank.  Going for the real thing, all natural, whatever you want to call it.  

In full disclosure, i definately have at least one mantis or pistol shrimp.  Something is clicking in there.  Haven't seen it yet, but will see as i scape the rock when things settle in. But hey, its part of the deal, right.  

Oh and as of tonight, so just over 24 hours later, ammonia is .25 or less.  Per Richards direction supposed to do water changes if it gets over 1ppm.  But some never get any reading.  I am thinking i won't as i have probably closer to 180g total system volume.  Will see.

Water is cleared up pretty good now.  More stuff is starting to show up.  Have a good size porcelain crab, and a number of what look like gorilla crabs.  Will try and trap some of those.  I added a bunch of photos to my gallery and will continue to.  Still need to scape the rock. 

Setting up to have part 2 from TBS come Friday.  That should be fun!

Few more pics:

Another baby urchin

Sponge

Side shot

FTS

Anybody help with an id on this.  Flatworm / nudi / slug?  The latest new thing to show up tonight.  I will say its not boring with the TBS rock.  And this is just from the first part.

Good or bad?

Its pretty big, 1"+

Flatworm

Flatworm on rock

Flatworm under

I am slow to update but part II of the Package came in last Friday from Richard!!!  Gotta say so far this has been awesome!  I keep looking for new thigs to pop up and now that i have the stand done and lights on its cool to run just the blues and see what flouresces.

Have been uploading photos to my album, see here..

For a quick run down of what was in part II....

Sponges - orange ball, red branching

2 gorgonians

1 very large red seafan (?) with a large mollusk attached 

Two stars - one serpent and one red brittle?

Three rock flower nems!  Two settled in the rocks, the other has settled up on the glass under the RW-8, guess he is the adventurous tpye:)

4 cucumbers

2 pepermint shrimps

snails

some other type of coral - intertwined with what looks like rice noodles, green tubular with polyps at the end

lots o rock encrusted with coraline

more hitchikers - more urchins, i think another flatworm, crabs (gorilla, mitrax, porcelain), whatever else pops up!

Some quick pics

Part II Arrives

Serpent Star

Bag O Sponges

FTS1

Porcelain Crab