Algae on Front Glass

VKernus

Recently the algae build up on my front glass has increased.  That is to say, in the past, I would clean the front glass and get maybe two-three days before it was again needed.  Now, the algae seems to come back faster.  Is this normal? 

pH:  8.1

Temp:  77.4

Nitrates 4.0

Ca:  400

Magnesium 1360

Alk 10 kH.

Ammonia and Phosphates 0.0 

It will likely ebb and flow.  Especially if you've changed anything at all.  I've seen minor flow changes affect algae growth patterns, light changes, food changes, if I have or haven't done water changes regularly lately, etc.  And sometimes something is cycling and growing or dying slowly enough in the tank, even things you can't see, that it moves one way or another.  

My advice would be to stay the course, practice good hygiene, don't do anything crazy, keep your hands out of the tank and sump messing with stuff as best as you're able, test your params from time to time like you're doing (those look fine to me), feed amounts that don't look like they're just falling to the bottom to rot, and scrub the glass from time to time.  

It will likely ebb and flow.  Especially if you've changed anything at all.  I've seen minor flow changes affect algae growth patterns, light changes, food changes, if I have or haven't done water changes regularly lately, etc.  And sometimes something is cycling and growing or dying slowly enough in the tank, even things you can't see, that it moves one way or another.  

My advice would be to stay the course, practice good hygiene, don't do anything crazy, keep your hands out of the tank and sump messing with stuff as best as you're able, test your params from time to time like you're doing (those look fine to me), feed amounts that don't look like they're just falling to the bottom to rot, and scrub the glass from time to time.  

I agree with everything Alan typed up here. I used to have this problem, and with proper maintenance and staying the course as suggested, it eventually went away.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you using led or t5 or MH? if t5 or MH then it maybe a good time to change the bulbs. If it is led you my change your intensity.

Using LEDs and trying to play with intensity.  Algae seems to start middle of the day.  Need to balance the algae with getting enough light to a couple small sps frags