"crazing phenomenon" in the acrylic

Ne0eN

Has anyone done any research into the issue of 'crazing' in the acrylic? My gf's 260 gal acrylic tank is starting to show signs of slight crazing on one of the main sides. Basically a whole bunch of miniscule little lines (1-2mm long). Previously I noticed one area where there were a lot of them, but lately i've benn seeing the same little lines spread all over one side of the tank. The other side doesnt seem to be affected. The tank is showing some signs of bowing on both sides. I believe it is 1/2" thick panel acrylic. Should we be concerned? Is the tank going to fail - it's only been 1.5 yrs since it's been filled with water.

-Rob

Rob,

Is the crazing along a seam, or somewhere else?

Jon

Has anyone done any research into the issue of 'crazing' in the acrylic? My gf's 260 gal acrylic tank is starting to show signs of slight crazing on one of the main sides. Basically a whole bunch of miniscule little lines (1-2mm long). Previously I noticed one area where there were a lot of them, but lately i've benn seeing the same little lines spread all over one side of the tank. The other side doesnt seem to be affected. The tank is showing some signs of bowing on both sides. I believe it is 1/2" thick panel acrylic. Should we be concerned? Is the tank going to fail - it's only been 1.5 yrs since it's been filled with water.

-Rob

What are the dimensions and who manufactured the tank? Also, what has been used to clean the tank? Crazing can be a result of many things from initial machining errors, material used, stress, cleaning chemicals used on the acrylic and so forth.

The tank has ClarityPlus logo. It's 84"x24"x29" deep. The crazing is sortof in the middle of the panel. My other theory was that a Tomato Clown kept charging the glass and somehow left 100 or so little marks... (I've seen him do it for whatever reason) But I just can't imagine that those 'hits' would leave a mark.

No chemicals are used to clean the acrylic. Just RO water and paper towels. (we're gonna switch to softer fabric instead of paper towels) My big concern is that we've noticed it after installing MH lights. But the sides are 'shielded' from the top - as we were seeing light reflections from the light. Dunno... The bowing is quite significant... (perhaps 1/2" deflection looking from the side along the length - probably much greater looking from the top)

-Rob

Rob,

Don't count the clowns out. I have two oscellaris clowns in a corner of my tank, and in the few months I've noticed hundreds of little scratches on the side panel near where they live. I've had the clowns for almost two years, and never had a problem with it before. They're between 2-4mm long, and most are oriented vertically (the scratches, not the clowns :)).

Jon

Rob,

Don't count the clowns out. I have two oscellaris clowns in a corner of my tank, and in the few months I've noticed hundreds of little scratches on the side panel near where they live. I've had the clowns for almost two years, and never had a problem with it before. They're between 2-4mm long, and most are oriented vertically (the scratches, not the clowns :)).

Jon

THANK YOU!!! So I'm not going crazy (pun intended :P ) - it is possible. I just can't believe it although it does make the most sense to me. The original area of the marks was a 'circle' 4" in diameter right in front of the BTA where they are hosting. The marks are now 'all over' the same side - not in as high concentration, but definitely spreading.

I fist noticed the female tomato clown charge the glass, in January after I installed the MH lights. Reflection of some sort? Trying to break out? :wall: Do Tomato clowns have sharp teeth? And now that I think of it, for a while the female had something whitish on its mouth (like a parasite of some sort, or infection from hitting the tank...) Hmm...

-Rob

With something this potentially serious I'd post this at RC w/ some pictures - maybe James from envision acrylics could offer a definative answer.

Alternative - contact NAGA & see if you can arrange a visit. He will be able to tell you within seconds is there's a potential for failure.

I bought a used acrylic tank that has the same thing on it. The tank itself is about 7 years old. The fellow I bought it from says the marks have been on his since year 1. I've had the tank for 2 months now, and I've not had any problems yet. I am concerned though and will be watching mine closely. :blink:

Well, after posting a question on Wetwebmedia.com I got the following response from Bob Fenner:

Tomato Clown abnormal behavior?

Hello,

<And to you> We have the following 'problem' with a young 2" female tomato clown. Shortly after installing MH lights on a 260gal reef tank a female clown started 'charging' at the acrylic side of the tank - causing hundreds of miniscule little marks/scratches. <Force equals mass times acceleration! Or better, the change in/Delta or even derivatives...~!> The affected area is about 4-5" in diameter and is exactly in front of the BTA where a pair of Tomato Clowns is hosting. <Neat... this animal running against its reflection to guard its "place"> The female will also occasionally chase the male clown and make grunting noises (I thought only trigger fish make those kind of noise) Is this normal behavior? <Oh yes. And good observations/listening> At first we thought the acrylic is flawed and is 'crazing' but its proximity to the BTA and the clowns is too suspicious. At one pont the female had a slightly injured mouth (from repeated hitting), but it's looking like it's healed. Have you ever heard of such behavior? <Yes> Is there anything we can do (besides counseling?) <Taping a bit/piece of opaque paper on the outside of this area will reduce reflectance... and the behavior. Cheers, Bob Fenner>

-Rob & Pam in VA