Sump/skimmer help..video clip

Dario5678

Looks like you are unable to get a full siphon and lots of air is mixing with the water. There are a few things you can try.

The easiest is to add a filter sock to the drain line to "absorb" some of the bubbles. Might work. Is your pump adjustable so you can play around with the flow rate? 

Some people add a gate valve to the drain line to match the return pump's flow rate and eliminate the air. However, I would recommend you add in an emergency drain to avoid any flooding if the main drain with the valve becomes blocked (e.g. with a snail). Look up the herbie method. The video only partially shows your tank, but if it's a reef-ready tank with 1 return + 1 drain, you can convert the return line into the emergency drain and plumb in a return line running over the back of your tank. This is what I plan to do with my 90g build.

Not sure about your skimmer. Some skimmers just run loudly. Looks like it's new. Give it time to break in as sometimes they get a little quieter with time. Consider putting in some doors in the front as they dampen the noise quite a bit.

I did notice that your return section is really small. It can run dry easily if your top-off runs out so watch out with that. 

Thanks,

Yes it is reef ready and I did get some additional information.  they website suggest that it be in water between 8 and 9 inches.  Currently it is in 11 inches of water.  can I put some rocks or cups under it to lift it 2 inches?  I am assuming this has noting to do with the micro bubbles though

(edited)

Yes you can use cups/whatever to bump the skimmer up. Some people make them out of egg crate or acrylic (and of course there are pre-made ones like this or this

By blocking those holes, the skimmer is not functioning properly. If you hold them down long enough the water will rise and flow into the cup. Those holes let air in to make the bubbles.

Edited by Squishie89

Thanks yall.  This may sound like a crazy question...but what the heck is egg crate.  I tried looking it up.  Is it something specifically made for aquarium or just anything designed like an egg crate?

Last thing (not really) my skimmer instructs to place in up to 9 inches of water max which would make the skimmer out above water.  I have read post that recommend having the skimmer out put submerged.  Any thoughts?

Although it is a bit hard to tell from the video, it looks to me as if the water level in your return (far right section of your sump) section is low and could use a bit more water height. It also appears that the water flowing from the center section into the return section is flowing over the weir in a waterfall fashion. This waterfall effect would also cause additional bubbles to be produced and could be adding to your problem. By raising the height in the return section and eliminating the waterfall effect you should reduce the amount of bubbles and as an added bonus, also reduce noise. 

Lastly, the return section is the only place where you will see evaporation in your system and you should strive to have the water in this area maintained at a constant as closely as possible. I would recommend an ATO (auto top off) if you do not already have one installed, to maintain this water level.

easy fixes-

1) put a gate valve on the return pump and restrict the pump to where there's little gurgling in the overflow.

2) put a bubble trap or bag filter holder and filter sock under the drain to eliminate all bubbles going into the sump from the drain line.

3) raise the skimmer to the correct height and adjust as necessary.

4) there's no such thing as a quiet skimmer because they all need air to function properly. you could run the air intake lines outside of your sump possibly to a cavity in the wall

Thank your for your replies here are my comments:

The water level in my return is low.  I cant get it much higher because tank will overflow if power goes out.  I do not have an auto top off but I will be getting one.

How Do I stop the waterfall fashion from the center/eliminate that waterfall effect.  I do notice many of the bubbles there

Zygote, I will nee to find some videos regarding gate valve installation.  Is the purpose of the gate valve to slow things down a bit?  if you know any good ones that would be great..  I will need to order some filter socks right or is there a simpler way?

This has been very helpful

Is your pump adjustable? If you need to use a gate valve, then you can put in a small section of hard plumbing with the gate valve connected to your pump. Your hose can be connected in with a barb fitting. Another way is to make an inline valve with barb fittings on both ends of a gate valve to connect to the hose.

Some local vendors might have some gate valves, or you can just order online. Lowes/HD don't carry them. Don't use a ball valve as they are hard to adjust.

If you're worried about flooding when the power goes out, then simply raise the return line end in your tank so that it's just under the surface. You can also drill a small "siphon break" hole in the return line.

Your skimmer, if those bubbles are coming from it, appears that the intake air valve is not seated correctly. The only place you should have bubbles on the skimmer is through the hole to the collection cup. Any bubbles from anywhere else is a problem. The way to eliminate bubbles from your drain is to go with full siphon. That will require a fairly strong return pump to keep up with the flow and/or a valve to reduce the drain flow if needed.

Is your pump adjustable? If you need to use a gate valve, then you can put in a small section of hard plumbing with the gate valve connected to your pump. Your hose can be connected in with a barb fitting. Another way is to make an inline valve with barb fittings on both ends of a gate valve to connect to the hose.

Some local vendors might have some gate valves, or you can just order online. Lowes/HD don't carry them. Don't use a ball valve as they are hard to adjust.

If you're worried about flooding when the power goes out, then simply raise the return line end in your tank so that it's just under the surface. You can also drill a small "siphon break" hole in the return line.

Naw my pump isn't adjustable and I don't quite get what you are saying about the barb and valve.  I have no plumbing experience.  Ive heard about the siphon break hole but don;t know where the hole goes.  I am using flexible tubing.  FYI...its a reef ready tank with overflow in the corner.

Your skimmer, if those bubbles are coming from it, appears that the intake air valve is not seated correctly. The only place you should have bubbles on the skimmer is through the hole to the collection cup. Any bubbles from anywhere else is a problem. The way to eliminate bubbles from your drain is to go with full siphon. That will require a fairly strong return pump to keep up with the flow and/or a valve to reduce the drain flow if needed.

HMM ill have to check the air valve to see whats going on with it.  are you saying maybe it crooked or something?  It is producing crazy bubbles and overflowing since I lifted it up 2 inches to be in 9 inches of water per the instructions.  When i had it in 11 inches of water....it made lots of micro bubbles in tank but it did not overflow.  Yes I do have bubbles from the drain.  You say go full siphon by increasing pump power?  Can I do that with reef ready corner overflow?  The water pretty much stays at the same level in the corner

(edited)

That is very odd. Usually when the skimmer is in deeper water it will overflow and produce more bubbles. Not the other way around. If it is new, it takes a good 2 weeks or more to break in. But take off and reattach the air intake nozzle. It should seal with the pump and not allow any air to leak out.

Going full siphon is a bit more involved. You need to have the primary drain stand-pipe with no air intake hole so that it just draws water only. You also need a secondary drain stand-pipe with an air intake hole (open channel) to take a little extra "trickle" water to help balance the system. And it is also recommended to have an emergency drain stand-pipe in case of a clog. If you have a single corner overflow with 2 holes, it isn't a good idea to go full siphon with that it could lead to a flood. You need a more powerful pump since a full-siphon drain is significantly more flow. Upwards of 1200gph. Putting a gate valve on your drain will help you to lower the flow to match what your pump is capable of.

Also - I assume you know there is an adjustment for the skimmer to vary the water/air mix right? Turning it one way increases bubbles and the other reduces them.

Edited by fishgate

Where are you located? I don't see your location in your profile and I am thinking that if you are close to someone in WAMAS they may have a moment to stop by and get you pointed in the right direction.

That is very odd. Usually when the skimmer is in deeper water it will overflow and produce more bubbles. Not the other way around. If it is new, it takes a good 2 weeks or more to break in. But take off and reattach the air intake nozzle. It should seal with the pump and not allow any air to leak out.

Going full siphon is a bit more involved. You need to have the primary drain stand-pipe with no air intake hole so that it just draws water only. You also need a secondary drain stand-pipe with an air intake hole (open channel) to take a little extra "trickle" water to help balance the system. And it is also recommended to have an emergency drain stand-pipe in case of a clog. If you have a single corner overflow with 2 holes, it isn't a good idea to go full siphon with that it could lead to a flood. You need a more powerful pump since a full-siphon drain is significantly more flow. Upwards of 1200gph. Putting a gate valve on your drain will help you to lower the flow to match what your pump is capable of.

Also - I assume you know there is an adjustment for the skimmer to vary the water/air mix right? Turning it one way increases bubbles and the other reduces them.

Hey thanks for that info.  Yes I do know that turning the adjustment skimmer impacts the water air mix.  Someone suggested I double check the valve to make sure its on correctly and what not.  I will do that when I get home.  Thanks.

Where are you located? I don't see your location in your profile and I am thinking that if you are close to someone in WAMAS they may have a moment to stop by and get you pointed in the right direction.

Hey Tom,

I am in waldorf MD.  I have been trying to get my information under my ghost profile picture.