why are aiptasia anenomes so bad?

madmax7774

They spread quickly.

They can sting other corals (desirable ones).

Other than that they are not too bad they eat detrius from the water column for hte most part, so can be considered good.

Dave

Like Dave said, they grow very rapidly, they sting the crap out of everything (except other aiptasia), and they are very difficult to eradicate once they really take hold.

Jon

They spread quickly.

They can sting other corals (desirable ones).

Other than that they are not too bad they eat detrius from the water column for hte most part, so can be considered good.

Dave

OK, Ima noob i know, but what's the big deal with aiptasia anenomes? Why are they considerd so bad?

John

:blink:

they are spies for the enviromentalists!! :blink: JK i kinda am one :) well sorta. as everyone else said the sting corals and kill them, most of the time, expensive ones. i have one popping up in my gsps and they are battling, so far the aptasia has won. they can be a menace as reefmon said and take over and attach to anything. so will the majano anenome. kind of neat to look at but will take over fast. right jacob!

A neat trick to kill aptaisia is to make some kalkwasser paste(kalk and water so its like toothpaste) and inject this into the oral disc w/ a joes juice blunt tip syringe...really jam it in there and inject it before it closes and shrinks. you dont need alot, i believe it works b/c of the caustic and extremely basic properties of calcium hydroxide. Also I wouldnt use alot, havent seen adverse effects on WQ, but Ive only used it on few of them at a time

they are spies for the enviromentalists!! :blink: JK i kinda am one :) well sorta. as everyone else said the sting corals and kill them, most of the time, expensive ones. i have one popping up in my gsps and they are battling, so far the aptasia has won. they can be a menace as reefmon said and take over and attach to anything. so will the majano anenome. kind of neat to look at but will take over fast. right jacob!

Right! Gary

if ya want to watch em explode use muriatic acid :evil:

Do not make them explode. The toxic released may and will kill surrounding corals