Sump question

Dario5678

Hi guys,

I have my skimmer in my middle chamber because it doesn't fit in the far left. With that said what should I put on the left...rocks?

I turned off the pump...and the water in the sump gets pretty high...is that ok? When the pump is on the water where the return is gets pretty low..should I have any cocerns...I'll post pics later..pics on my phone but tapatalk is giving me an error when I try to upload

A picture will be very helpful is recommendations.  In general, if you are not using a check valve on the return line then it will back drain until it breaks siphon.  I have a small hole drilled in the elbow above the surface to break siphon on my return.

Pretty high is fine. Pretty overflowing on the floor is not. If I turn off skimmer and all returns, my sump will get about 1" from the top, but no more water  can come in, so I'm good

post-2633951-143324254514_thumb.jpg

I believe that something like this is what they were referring to.

I'm not a fan of the anti siphon holes.  I tried it and it just splashed too much.  A slight adjustment in the return nozzle (raising it closer to the water surface in the display tank) and all was fixed without having to worry if the hole gets clogged or splashes or makes noise.  

One thing I would recommend: When I use my feed method on my apex, it turns off my return pump.  That causes the backflow as you would expect.  However, the high water in the sump causes the skimmer to overflow - which will dump the nasty stuff that has accumulated back into the sump.  Plus it's bubbling all over the place.  To fix it, I turn off the skimmer pump and ATO as well during the feed cycle and about 5 min after it turns back on so that the sump can level back off b/f turning everything back on.

Hi guys,

I have my skimmer in my middle chamber because it doesn't fit in the far left. With that said what should I put on the left...rocks?

I turned off the pump...and the water in the sump gets pretty high...is that ok? When the pump is on the water where the return is gets pretty low..should I have any cocerns...I'll post pics later..pics on my phone but tapatalk is giving me an error when I try to upload

You can put filter socks or rock on the first chamber. i do that with mine. On 2nd question, it is normal. just mark on your sump for the max and min water level. Install the (auto top off) ATO to keep the min water level constant. You are fine.