RBTA Question

VKernus

I added an RBTA and a pair of snow flake clowns to my reef on Saturday.  The RBTA seemed happy in the afternoon, but when I looked the next morning it had disappeared.  I found that it had crawled around the side of the rock it was placed upon and settled in a depression that formed an opening to a cave or passage formed in, and extending entirely through the rock.  The RBTA then moved into the cave.  I can see a portion of its tentacles poking out of the bottom of the cave.  Any thoughts about how to lure him out of the rock?  He will not get enough light or food where it is currently settled.

Removing the rock would entail a substantial deconstruction of my aquascape.

Victor

Nem will move on its own. Let it work it out. If it wants to be somewhere, it will go there.

How old is the tank? How big? What are your parameters?

I just put 2 in my tank. Ive read that they move to find better flow and light options. From what I understand, it knows what it likes better then us.  :tongue:

Tank is two months old.  90 gallon.  Did first water change last week.  25 gallons.  Based on nitrates, will be doing another change this week.  Need hoses and another pump to make the change easier.

Mg was high prior to change, now it is a tad on the low side.  Ca and alk have been pretty stable.  Dosing small amounts weekly as called for.

Parameters as of last night:

Salinity 1.025

pH: 7.93

Ammonia:  0.0

Nitrate 4.0

Ca 395

Mg 1200

Alk 10.4

Based on your tanks age, I would venture you are going through some parameter swings. It's usually suggested that hobbyist wait anywhere from 3 months to a year before adding a Nem. The best thing you can do is provide stability, and it will work it out, as mentioned. What lights are you running?

As others have said, I wouldn't mess with him for a while. If he's poking his head out, he'll likely shift around little by little until he gets the kind of light/flow he needs to be happy. If you move him manually, you'll either A. stress him out and cause him to find another dark cave or float around or B. damage his foot and potentially kill him. Your tank is pretty new, so he's gonna be searching for that sweet spot. 

RBTA still poking its head out (downward into a cave).  I see that before settling into the cave, he must have done a lap or two around the tank.  Other coral looks like it has been stung.  Pink Gonies, and green zoa's seem to have taken the worst of the stinging.  Other corals, acans, duncans, are starting to make a comeback.

Based on your tanks age, I would venture you are going through some parameter swings. It's usually suggested that hobbyist wait anywhere from 3 months to a year before adding a Nem. The best thing you can do is provide stability, and it will work it out, as mentioned. What lights are you running?

+1 Your tank is not completely cycle yet. You should be patient.

s2nhle,

I am trying to be patient.  I am following the recommendations of the guys that are maintaining the tank.  They have been monitoring the parameters weekly and said that it was ready for the nem and clowns.  Parameters have been pretty steady.  Coral growing well.   

Nem is moving about the past couple of days, looking for a happy place.  As of this morning, it was sitting on top of a rock below a shelf.  Curious to see where he is when I get home.

I see you are in Lorton.  That is pretty close to me.  Are there many members in our area?

You can hardly ever "tell" a BTA where to set down roots. It's likely trying to find a place to settle that is a good balance of light and flow. However, it may also be moving to get away from an irritant, like another coral or the clowns. Keep an eye on things and it'll probably expand while leaving its foot in the hole.

You said a few things about "parameters" settling and readiness. Keep in mind that when most people use the term "cycling" they're talking about nitrogen cycling. Tank maturity goes well beyond that and goes as much to bacteria settlement as it does to microfauna development, tank stabilization, and settling of your own husbandry practices. Some nems can be very sensitive to changes in water quality. Luckily, many BTA's are probably among the easier anemones to keep. Picking livestock often involves matching your tank (size, water quality and stability), your experience, and the animal's needs. Depending upon how often the maintenance crew is checking in, it's important that they (and you) factor in your experience and the tank stability when they recommend livestock. Hopefully they're doing this and all will be fine.

Anyway, let the anemone move and settle in. It sounds like what it's doing is perfectly normal.

Thanks Origami. Being patient with the nem. He is now sitting atop a rock in the shade. I am sure he will find its own place. There does not appear to be an irritant at present, at least not one that I can perceive.

Maintainance crew checks in weekly. I believe the tank has nitrogen cycled. I do have a ways to go for microfauna stabilization. Water parameters seem relatively stable. Ca drops weekly but that is normal and I am dosing the same amount each week to maintain Ca levels.

I have one that I have had for 5 years, along with offspring from time to time when it splits. Sometimes it will stay in the same place for months then decide to move. Whenever it splits it (and the offspring) will hide for a couple of weeks before coming out again. I currently have 3 offspring and they are moving all over the place because I have been too lazy to catch them...well, I caught them and put them in a basket with egg crate on top and 2 of them got out.

Rob,

They appear to be rather adept at getting into and out of small places.  Mine came out today for a bit.  Stretched way out into the light and expanded for about an hour, then retracted up tight as a drum back under the shelf.

I am sure he will come out sooner or later.  I just don't want him to do another tour of the tank.  Some of the corals are still recovering from his last trip.

Victor

s2nhle,

I am trying to be patient.  I am following the recommendations of the guys that are maintaining the tank.  They have been monitoring the parameters weekly and said that it was ready for the nem and clowns.  Parameters have been pretty steady.  Coral growing well.   

Nem is moving about the past couple of days, looking for a happy place.  As of this morning, it was sitting on top of a rock below a shelf.  Curious to see where he is when I get home.

I see you are in Lorton.  That is pretty close to me.  Are there many members in our area?

Yeah, my son goes to Silverbrook. I believe there is also Kyle&Amy in Fairfax Station. Maybe I have to check your tank out.

• 2 weeks later...

RBTA seems to have found a happy place.  Ironically, it is about 2 inches from where it started.  It is still acclimating but taking food.  It is open from about late morning until lights out.  He is taking food, but loosing some to a blood red fire shrimp.  Crazy thing reaches in a pilfers food from the RBTA.

I have fish that steal the food from my LPS all the time. The corals are too slow for it. I have to stay late if I want to feed my corals.